[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
FREESCO Support • View topic - 0.4.x VIA Kernel

0.4.x VIA Kernel

3rd Party Package Requesting

0.4.x VIA Kernel

Postby dajudge » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:16 pm

Looking for help making an 0.4.x kernel with SATA support for the VIA VT8237R series. I've tried the Triton kernels, with no luck.

Thanks
dajudge

Re: 0.4.x VIA Kernel

Postby Lightning » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:57 pm

can you use

cat /proc/pci >/devices

and post that file here. This can also be done from the command prompt in the control panel just by using

cat /proc/pci

Then copy and paste the information.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby dajudge » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:51 pm

dajudge

Postby Lightning » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:52 pm

I have a modified kernel source that MIGHT enable your hard drive. I have no way of testing it nor am I certain it will work and it possibly could turn your hard drive into a large paper wieght. But you can download it here
http://lewys-spot.dyndns.org/test/kernel.via

Rename it to "kernel" and replace the original.

If it works you can also add the "System.map" file along with this kernel in the /boot directory once it is on a hard drive to enable more accurate system logs from the kernel.
http://lewys-spot.dyndns.org/test/kernel.via.map

Rename it to "System.map" and it is case sensitive.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby dajudge » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:26 pm

Thank you, will try to give it a shot this weekend. I'm running from a compact flash card (currently on a PATA adapter), so not too worried about damage.
dajudge

Postby dajudge » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:38 pm

No luck, get the same error I got with the Triton kernels, "boot media or drive error.. stopping...".
dajudge

Postby Lightning » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:55 pm

I guess my question is "How are you trying this kernel". a detailed explanation would possibly help me understand. It is possible that it just plainly won't work, but I would like to know the details.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby dajudge » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:16 pm

Let's see, currently running Freesco v0.4.3, using HD install to the CF card, and DOS (boots to DOS, runs the router from a batch file). Used the following to install the new kernel after logging in:

cd /boot
snarf http://<some-mirror>/<custom-kernel>
mv kernel kernel.old
mv <custom-kernel> kernel
sync; sync;
reboot

Kernel seems to work fine with the CF card on a PATA adapter, but when I switch the card to the SATA adapter, it boots to DOS fine, starts Freesco, but I get the previous error when it tries to mount the boot dev (on the Freesco startup screen).

Motherboard is a VIA EPIA-EK.
dajudge

Postby Lightning » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:05 pm

Ok, it is probable the drive will change to the SATA connector and /dev/hda1 may not work. Using the new kernel on the PATA use the "cat /proc/pci" again and post it along with "dmesg" and copy and paste all of that information and it would be helpful if there was a device plugged into the SATA interface when booted. Not giving up quite just yet. :wink:
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby dajudge » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:54 pm

dajudge

Postby Lightning » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:22 pm

Unfortunately there is absolutely no mention of the SATA ports. However I have made one final change to see if it will work. Again no idea if it will work, but it is worth a try. I would still fire the machine up using the PATA port with a drive attached to the SATA port and see if the file outputs as above show anything.

The kernel name and download is the same as before.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby dajudge » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:16 pm

dajudge

Postby Lightning » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:59 am

Hmmmmmm bummer, I am not seeing any signs of the SATA controller. So unfortunately without any information on the device there isn't much chance of initializing it, sorry. :(
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby dajudge » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:28 pm

Oh well, I thank you for taking some time out to help :)
Much appreciated.
dajudge

Postby dajudge » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:27 pm

A little hunting on Via's website, I did manage to find some source code, though it appears to be for 2.1.0 kernel, not sure if it's possible/worth the time to try to compile it on 2.0.38-2.0.40.. Not sure if this is just for adding Raid support though. If you're interested.

via_raid_linux_v100_20040412.zip @
dajudge

Next

Return to 3rd Party Package Requesting