[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
FREESCO Support • View topic - Etherexpress Pro/100 ISA (DP83800 chip) or other 100mbit ISA

Etherexpress Pro/100 ISA (DP83800 chip) or other 100mbit ISA

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Etherexpress Pro/100 ISA (DP83800 chip) or other 100mbit ISA

Postby eyefly » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi all. I've been a long time Freesco user (since the 2.7 days). The system I've been running it on is a Compaq Prolinea 486/66 with ISA slots only. It has been working flawlessly since day one with dual 3Com Etherlink III 10mbit cards.

Now I'm trying breathe a little more life into the system for continued use. I'm wanting to swap my Etherlink III's for 100mbit cards. Now, I'm well aware that the ISA bus will NOT be able to make full use of the 100mbit speed, but if I can even manage 15 to 20 mbit I will be very happy.

I bought two Intel Etherexpress Pro/100 ISA cards with the National Semiconductor DP83800 AVF chip thinking they would work with the eepro100 driver only to discover that I was very wrong. In fact, there does not seem to be ANY linux driver for this card that I could dig up.

So my questions is: Has anyone gotten this card to work and, if not, can you recommend a good 100 mbit ISA card?
(from what I've found, the 3Com 3C515 may be my only option but they seem to be hard to come by.)

Thank you!
eyefly

Re: Etherexpress Pro/100 ISA (DP83800 chip) or other 100mbit

Postby Lightning » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:38 pm

If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby eyefly » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:18 pm

Thought I'd provide an update for anyone who might be interested. I found a couple 3c515 cards and have the system up and running.

System is a 486dx2 66mhz, 32mb ram, 500mb CF on an IDE adapter.
Freesco installed to ext2 with 50mb swap enabled.

Running 0.4.4, the system maxed out at 1.6 mbit (speedtest.net)
Running 0.3.8, the system was significantly faster at 6.0 mbit

So sadly I was not able to best the Etherlink III's, but I had fun tearing apart and rebuilding the old Compaq :)
I found it interesting that there would be that big of a difference between the two versions. Any thoughts on why the big difference or ways to squeeze out a little more speed?
eyefly

Postby Lightning » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:18 pm

If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x