[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
FREESCO Support • View topic - DNS resolving on non-standard port?

DNS resolving on non-standard port?

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

DNS resolving on non-standard port?

Postby Island » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:44 am

Is there a method of configuring dnsmasq to request DNS lookups (ie, upstream) on a non-standard port?

regards, Island
Island
Junior Advanced Member

Re: DNS resolving on non-standard port?

Postby Lightning » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:44 am

Yes there is a undocumented way to do what you are asking. Run the "setup" and in the DNS server configuration where it is asking for the IP address for the server put in "xx.xx.xx.xx#XX" where xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP address you want and XX is the port you want it to use.. In the above example you MUST use the # pound sign as the delineation with no spaces. Also for this to work you MUST make certain that "obtain DNS through DHCP" is turned OFF and ONLY the manual settings are used. Then just restart the DNS server "rc_dns restart" and on screen 5 you will see the new entries and the ports they are using. Of course on any standard DNS server you can omit the #XX and it will use port 53 by default.

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
While the above does work to get dnsmasq to use a non standard port. The above addition will break the firewall and fails when rc_masq is executed. So it does NOT work. I will consider the options on how to get around this problem and let you know when I have a resolution.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Lightning » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:11 am

If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Island » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:33 am

Island
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:59 pm

The DNS server is running on port 53 and only it's upstream server is using a non standard port. So the screen is correct. However the issue with the rc_masq file is not right and most likely there is a incompatibility between the 0.4.5 rc_masq file that I modified and the 0.4.4 rc_masq file that should be in your system. I will make changes to the correct version for your system and post it later tonight.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Lightning » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:33 pm

Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Island » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:38 am

Island
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:05 am

Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Re: Coincidental problem with port 25

Postby Island » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:19 pm

Lewis, good evening, thank you for the suggestions. Yes, I've been using mc since you first recommended us to it, some several years ago, now.

In fact I was using mc to look through the Exim log because, by coincidence, since making these changes there have ben no Internet-inbound transmissions reaching Exim (last logged SMTP attempt was 25 September). I rebooted FREESCO (0.4.4) and, on the main screen where it lists all the services it is starting, and the port they are on, FREESCO lists Exim, but does not say 'Port 25'; I have a feeling it used to say that, am I remembering correctly? Irrespective of whether it used to do so, or not, is there anything in the modified scripts that I've installed that might have the effect of keeping port 25 closed?

Internal network emails are reaching Exim on the internal LAN port 25, they are working normally, and being delivered correctly to the mailboxes. Only external messages are not coming in. The log is also completely clean of spam attempts, too, which is unusual. The absence of traffic does seem to suggest port 25 might be closed. We are also running emailblock, in case that has a bearing on firewall settings, but some missing messages to which we've been alerted were sent from proper servers, so I think it unlikely they've been blocked.

Is there any way I can 'manually' open port 25? I can see that I could set up a 'forward' for it, but I need it forwarded to itself, in a sense.

Let me know if I should post any logs that might be helpful, or check any state data. Should I post a report.txt - would it contain the firewall entries?

regards, Island
Island
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:24 am

Nothing that has been changed should have caused any issues with exim and exim does not show it's port when it is started because the port is in a configuration file and not part of the exim startup script.
However unless it specifically shows that "rc_exim" is listed as an excluded file from the firewall it will be blocked. Run the

setup -> Add-on package menu -> Enable/Disable firewall rules

At this point "rc_exim" should be shown in red. If it is not then you need to push "d" and add rc_exim to the list. Then save the settings and restart the firewall "rc_masq restart". It should then show rc_exim as having it firewall settings disabled. In a lot of cases if you have external email clients you will also want to add rc_teapop to the disabled rules.

Why any of this would change because of the changes that have been made are beyond my understanding at this point.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Island » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:21 am

Island
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:08 pm

The rc_masq script is responsible for all of the firewall settings and it should be showing rc_exim as having disabled firewall rules. Things to check and do are

Check /etc/firewall.dis

It should have a line in it as "rc_exim"

You then can use the standard rc_masq script by using. It will show an error for the non standard port and it may also hang.

/rc/rc_masq restart

You also can check to make sure which rc_masq script is being used

which rc_masq

As a final step to manually disable the firewall rules edit the /pkg/rc/rc_exim script and comment out the two firewall rules in the $fire) section of the script.
$fire)
#ipfwadm.........
#ipfwadm.........
;;

On a side note, I am actually the package maintainer for all of the 04x packages as no authors have converted or made updates for the 03x packages to convert them to the 04x system.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Island » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:36 pm

Island
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Island » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:50 pm

Island
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Island » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:48 pm