[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
FREESCO Support • View topic - When is hardware too old?

When is hardware too old?

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Re: When is hardware too old?

Postby CDFiXER » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:36 pm

It could be your NIC cards are/were the type that rely heavily on the CPu. I don't have the bandwidth you have but I can report the gigbit RTL drivers are working pretty well. Look for some NIC's that mention stuff like 'checksum offloading' or the equivalent might help with older hardwae and hgher bandwidth.

Currently running at one house with a 3 mbs connection on a K6III+ and two gigabit NIC's.

Running at the new house on a cable modem, cant remember the speed but is in excess of 10 mbs. Running that on an AMD Quad core something (IIRC) at 2.5+ GHz. Once I get settled in, will check the speed...
Catapultam habeo.
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby PurpleMeanie » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:06 am

Well this PIII is from that K6III era. I just went the Intel route as it was a cooler CPU. Will be buying it some brand new fans with brand new bearings soon. (Or modding the inside to change how the fan is mounted to allow a bigger slower fan in there) I also picked this PIII due to the the fact that it is housed in a small sized Dell box which is a fraction of the size of the older AMD I was running.

I still have a few K6's in a box upstairs. Used to enjoy overclocking them and laughing at how slow my mate's PCs were in comparison.

As I rebooted the old router for the last time at the weekend, I noticed it was actually running at 133Mhz. I had forgotten it was overclocked! A simple overclock of running on the 133Mhz FSB instead of 100Mhz.

The "new" Intel PIII CPU is handling the load well. I was cruel to it yesterday and threw a pile of torrents at it. A short while later I spotted I had already downloaded 4GB... no major hiccups.

My setup is connected to a Cable Modem. I am on Virgin Cable in the UK. They supply a Netgear Router complete with wireless and other features like unreliable connection bugs. I have set this into passthrough mode which bypasses all of those buggy features and it works well.

Best thing about this virgin cable is it overperforms. Look at that speedtest. I'm being supplied 60Mbps but it always tests higher by 1-2Mbps. Am lucky to live behind a university building so there is overcapacity on the network here. :mrgreen:

With your AMD Quad Core is that using more than one core with Freesco? Or do you have a few other funky tasks for the server to perform? I would worry about those other cores getting bored and lonely :D
PurpleMeanie

Postby Lightning » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:50 am

If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Previous

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x