[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
FREESCO Support • View topic - isp change

isp change

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

isp change

Postby mondo » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:43 pm

Hello,
I am changing my isp from comcast to verizon . Previously comcast provided their modem which I connected to my freesco but verizon provided splitter for the TV and the internet and their router. The router has four LAN ports and one WAN port. How do I connect my freesco to Verizon system? Anybody there using Verizon system?

thanks

Mon
mondo

Re: isp change

Postby Lightning » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:11 pm

Every modem/router that I have seen have an option in there web control panel to disable there router mode and just create a DMZ. However it the modem has a WAN port it should just be a matter of connecting to that port. Just be aware that when you make a connection to that port, you will need to power cycle both devices connected with that cable. It also may or may not need to be a cross over cable. If you have the make and model of the modem a web search should clarify most everything.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby dingetje » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:51 am

GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby mondo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Hello Lightning and dingetje,

Thanks a lot for your reply I shall let you know the outcome when the verizon installs the working router.

Thanks

mondo
mondo

Postby mondo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:10 pm

Lightning,
Please tell me if I use Cable on Verizon WAN port router does it connect to my card on freesco ( eth0)? . I am using Actiontec M1424WR (rev !) which is different to the one given on the link above.

thanks

mondo
mondo

Postby Lightning » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:49 pm

It sounds like you should connect eth0 to the wan port on the modem. But it is unfortunately not enough information for me to say for certain. I would need details on the connection and a report.txt to say for sure.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby mondo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Lightning,

My configuration is a D-Link router as an access point on freesco for the wireless clients. I am using the switch to connect to wired clients. The D-Link has five ports ; four for wired LAN and one WAN port which worked well before I changed to Verizon isp.Now I have a Verizon M1424WR (Rev 1 v) as primary router. There are four internal ports and a WAN port on the Verizon router. I connected the Verizon router Wan port to my fresco 4.3.and then power up the system but unfortunately it does not connect and as such I cannot get the report file. Is there any way I can retrieve the report file?

Thanks

mondo
mondo

Postby Lightning » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:50 pm

Put a blank floppy disk into the system and use the following commands.

a:
cp /boot/report.txt /mnt/fd/
a:

Then remove the floppy and put it into another machine that does have Internet access and attach the report.txt file to a reply.

Also as a possible issue. If your new modem is configured as a router, it may have the WAN port disabled. You COULD connect FREESCO to one of the LAN ports as a short term solution until you can reconfigure the modem to just be a modem and not a router. This would most likely force a double NAT for the Internet, but it should work as long as the two are using different subnets. Be aware that 192.168.0.x is the absolute most common followed by 192.168.1.x subnets for routers and you may need to put FREESCO onto a different subnet like 192.168.2.x which is not at all common for manufacturers.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby mondo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Hello Lightning,

I changed the freesco by going to setup and changed eth0 to 192.168.2.2 and eth1 to 192.168.2.4. The default Verizon router address is 192.168.1.1 and it provides DHCP server. I use LAN-to-LAN connection that is eth0 from freesco is connected to one of LAN port of Verizon. WAN port is not connected anything. When the system is booted it provides DHCPOFFER on eth0 to 192.168.0199 but cannot access the internet. Attached is the report file.

Thanks
mondo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mondo

Postby Lightning » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:25 pm

Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby mondo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:51 am

Hello Lightning,

I changed the freesco router to be on a different subnet and booted the system but no success. Attached is the report file after the change.

thanks

mondo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mondo

Postby Lightning » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:28 pm

Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby mondo » Sun May 12, 2013 8:37 pm

Hello Lightning,

The ping did not work. I believe I do not get the right dns on the fresco system. Looking at the report file; the ip for the freesco gateway looks odd. Through the search whether I can add my wireless systems or an extra router along with the Verizon router. The answer is most definitely both as primary and secondary configurations see the link below.
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506
I configure Verizon router as primary and my freesco as secondary. The Verizon router provides DHCP server. See the report file, the eth0 has DHCPOFFER as 192.168.1.14 while eth1 is provided with 192.168.2.4 of a different subnet, and gw is 192.168.1.1 which is Verizon default address. I am really confused. The above configuration does not work for me!!

Thanks
mondo
mondo

Postby Lightning » Sun May 12, 2013 10:43 pm

Hmmmm I really see no good reason for it not to be working. because in order to get a DHCP lease it must be communicating with the other router. However it could easily be that the DHCP server that is being used is not functioning correctly. Here is what you can do,

In the network configuration you can disable the DHCP DNS setting. That way you can manually configure the DNS IP addresses in the DNS server section of the setup. You will want to use the one that you already have as 75.75.76.76 as the primary DNS server and then you might want to check the other routers DHCP lease for there secondary server or use a public DNS server as there are a lot of them. Make sure to remove the private IP ranges from the other DNS server at 192.168.0.1
Make certain to save the new configuration and reboot. You also can confirm it is just a DNS issue by using

ping 75.75.76.76

CRTL+c to stop it. Be aware that I only received two ping responses from that server on my own machine, so they probably have a limit counter on ping responses. You may want to use a different IP like one for google at 173.194.33.39

Of course if DNS is working it should be able to resolve and ping google.com directly

Of course you will still need to connect everything to the router as it is still not showing an internal connection in the report. Also as a side note, you do not need to spoof the MAC address for a secondary router and under most circumstances you rarely need to spoof MAC address for a primary router unless your ISP is strict about only connecting one PC and I can't remember the last time I saw an ISP that expected that.

One thing that I just thought of is that it might be possible that the primary router is blocking DNS queries. It would not be a standard enabled option, but it is an option in FREESCO if you want it to be. So it might be ab option in it???
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby mondo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:56 pm

mondo

Next

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x