[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
FREESCO Support • View topic - Wireless support?

Wireless support?

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Wireless support?

Postby Th3_uN1Qu3 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:45 pm

I've been out of the game for a while so please educate me. Does the latest FREESCO support wireless cards? I'm about to grab a Dell Optiplex 110 for dirt cheap and it has 3 PCI slots, so i'm thinking of dropping a wireless card in along with the two LAN cards to make it a wireless router.

I'm still running 0.4.2 i think, and it works great as a router and print server for my HP Laserjet. Maxes out 100mbps 3Com cards with a humble PII-300. :D When the power would go out i would have the surprise that the floppy had failed, so i did a HDD install and all has been smooth since then. But now with this Dell i'm getting i'd like to take it one step further and go wireless. Will it work or will i need a more complete flavor of Linux for that, like Debian or CentOS or something?
Th3_uN1Qu3

Re: Wireless support?

Postby Lightning » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:17 pm

For wireless support in FREESCO you have to use a wireless access point or a wireless router connected using it's internal port. Or as you stated go to a MUCH larger distribution of Linux. But you can buy wireless routers as cheap as wireless cards and connecting them through there internal port is very simple.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Th3_uN1Qu3 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:12 pm

I don't want a wireless router not because of price but because they're built with underspec parts, they run hot, they lock up often, and capacitors fail in them after a couple years. I want something with almost zero maintenance and FREESCO has offered me this thus far. I went thru a bunch of Realtek NICs in my first months of running it but ever since i bought 3Com cards no problem.

I made my first FREESCO when i was 15 and now, 5 years later, it's still doing a good job. Both my first FREESCO box and the one i've been running for the past 2 years i got for free. I guess i'll migrate to something a bit larger then. Puppy Linux comes to mind, i'll go check on there if it can work as a router.
Th3_uN1Qu3

Postby Lightning » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:35 pm

I personally use a wireless router as an access point. Which an access point is the optimal piece of hardware, but wireless routers are about half of the price and can be connected through there internal port with all of there services disabled. That way the only active thing they have running is the wireless and nothing to do with anything else. The advantages are that you then have a nice control panel for the wireless security such as wep and mac filtering. Which even in a larger distribution will not be simple to configure in a router application.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby JohnY » Thu May 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Lightning,

I'm feeling a little dense here, but by 'internal port' do you mean the port marked on most acess points as 'WAN' ?

JohnY
JohnY

Postby Lightning » Fri May 18, 2012 7:18 pm

No, I mean the internal ports on most routers marked for LAN. Some router have the ability to disable there external Wan port and even if they do not you can still just leave that port empty and give it a bogus static IP address. The reason to hook it up this way is so that you can still access it's web control panel from your LAN and if it's services are disabled such as DHCP then FREESCO can give out leases to your wireless clients. It also allows for the use of the Windows file sharing and client printer sharing across the wireless clients as well. One thing to be careful of is that most routers use the same IP range as FREESCO defaults to. A lot of times 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, so it is a good idea to start FREESCO on something that is a bit different so there aren't any conflicts.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x