[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
FREESCO Support • View topic - Cannot boot Freesco, "Kernel Panic"

Cannot boot Freesco, "Kernel Panic"

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Cannot boot Freesco, "Kernel Panic"

Postby greenwoods » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:53 am

I have a Freesco (0.4.3) router that boots and runs fine from floppy. However, after performing "move2hd" to either a DOS partitioned IDE HDD or CFcard (With IDE adapter), and running "router.bat", I get the error: "kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 01:00" then restarts. I have disabled the onboard sata controller and the onboard NIC, and tweaked every BIOS setting I could find for the HDD controller. From what I have been able to find, it seems this happens when Freesco is mounting the file system in RAM, but I'm not for sure. I'm using an MSI G31TM-P21 mobo with 1Gb of DDR2, and 2 PCI Realtek NICs.
greenwoods

Re: Cannot boot Freesco, "Kernel Panic"

Postby Peppe/Sweden » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:33 pm

I would suggest to use the ext2 setup instead since the dos installation is a little bit older an the ext2 better filesystem with better tools.
You can install the ext2 package from the add-on package menu and you need a internet connection to install the package.
Your problem could resurface when you use the package and you might have problem to boot,
Now the could be a problem with the ide controller and are often a number of settings such as "enhanced ide" and "lba" so on.
The trick is to change the settings in bios and after that run the ext2 package again and run rc_ext2 repair to see the change to take effect.

Regards
[COLOR=blue] You mean that I don?t fly airplanes , I don?t have a grilfriend and don?t have a dog ? Buuh , I grow up to be a real loser! (The Kid , walt disney) [COLOR=blue]
Peppe/Sweden
Junior Advanced Member

Re: Cannot boot Freesco, "Kernel Panic"

Postby Lightning » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:31 pm

Make certain the LBA mode is enabled on the drive and that the drive does NOT exceed 127Gb in size. If it does exceed that size then you MUST use one of the 0.4.2 or later third party kernels that has Triton support or you must partition the drive into sections less than 127Gb.
After any of the above changes make certain to reformat the drive and move the system to it again and as suggested above the ext2 package will simplify things and it is a far superior file system over FAT.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x