Freesco able to see Internet, but private network can't

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Re: Freesco able to see Internet, but private network can't

Postby Lightning » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:25 pm

I am glad you have it working and it looks like everything is configured correctly. As for security the only thing that I recommend is making sure that you have the wireless security options enabled and I recommend using the mac security option as well as wep if it is possible in your environment. But the amount of security needed for wireless really is dependent on where you are located. Because if your nearest neighbor is a half mile away security really isn't an issue for wireless.

NFTP=n #FTP Server
FTPPRT=21 #
FTPCN=10 #FTP connections
FTPCC=10 #Concurrent FTP connections
FTPNN=y #Anonymous FTP
RTFTP=y #allow root
FTPBW="" #FTP Bandwidth
I do see one small thing wrong and that is the funny characters in your FTP bandwidth. These are usually caused by hitting the delete key rather than the backspace key. However in your current configuration it does not hurt anything because the FTP server is disabled.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby phillipsjk256 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:33 am

I am having a similar problem with my New machine running 0.4.4. Ethernet mode seems to be working properly, but when I type "mode dialup" only the router has internet connectivity. clients get responses like:
Code: Select all
freedomincluded@freedomincluded:~$ ping 8.8.4.4
PING 8.8.4.4 (8.8.4.4): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.131.1: Destination Host Unreachable
Vr HL TOS  Len   ID Flg  off TTL Pro  cks      Src      Dst Data
 4  5  00 5400 0000   0 0040  3f  01 90eb 192.168.131.100  8.8.4.4
^C64 bytes from 192.168.131.1: Destination Host Unreachable
Vr HL TOS  Len   ID Flg  off TTL Pro  cks      Src      Dst Data
 4  5  00 5400 0000   0 0040  3f  01 90eb 192.168.131.100  8.8.4.4
--- 8.8.4.4 ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

restoring ethernet mode restores connectivty.

Could this be related to a recent dial-up patch?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phillipsjk256

Postby Lightning » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:49 pm

Your report seems odd to me, which I am not saying it is a configuration issue. But there is something wrong. I see that there are no network cards active for some reason. So what I need is two special reports done using this command and when connected to the Internet. Just be sure that each mode is fully connected and that a client has attempted to access the Internet before using the commands to generate a report. Do not generate the report in setup mode as the current one is made as it is of no real use in diagnosing a problem.
Code: Select all
[root@router] mode ethernet
[root@router] sysinfo >/boot/report.txt
[root@router] netinfo >>/boot/report.txt
[root@router] mode dialup
[root@router] sysinfo >/boot/report1.txt
[root@router] netinfo >>/boot/report1.txt
[root@router] sync

Then attach the two reports in a reply. Also a basic description of your network configuration such as any other routers or servers on the network and ISP types.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby phillipsjk256 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:38 am

Network 0, eth0, SMC EtherEZ: Internet facing
Network 1, eth2, RTL8139B (full duplex!): facing "main" computer and disconnected fileserver (WINS requests receive no response)
Network 2, eth1, 3com509 (Etherlink III): facing wireless AP acting in bridge mode (one wired client)

Ethernet ISP is connected via an (older) ADSL modem. ATM is used to traverse Telus infrastructure, routes pop up in Vancouver.
Dial-up ISP is connected via an external POTS modem (3com US Robotics 56k Voice Faxmodem), resells Telus dial-up service. Routes appear to start closer to home.

I see one apparent configuration problem: eth0 should *not* be set to "trusted".

I have also been meaning to ask why eth0 is not shown on the netmon screen (after checking if traffic between local networks, not touching the Internet, is counted or not).

After I typed "mode ethernet" in ethernet mode, DNS lookups seemed to fail. I could still ping 8.8.4.4
In "mode dialup" DNS lookups still failed, but the modem dialed out. Still could not ping 8.8.4.4.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phillipsjk256

Postby Lightning » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:26 pm

DNSDDR= #Primary DNS
DNSDDR1= #Second
DNSDDR2= #Third
DNSDDR3= #Fourth
You have no static DNS servers defined. even using DHCP at least one must be defined as static in both the dialup ISP account and in the main setup. The easiest way to get this information filled in automatically is to run "setup" while running in Ethernet mode and just save the settings when it is connected to the Internet.
# [Network 0]
SDHCP=y #DHCP client
DHCPDNS=y #DNS via DHCP
INTNAME0=eth0 #Interface
IPADDR0= #IP address
NETMASK0= #Netmask
NETWORK0= #Network address
BRDCAST0= #Broadcast address
As above if you run and then save the setup while connected in ethernet mode it will fill these extra fields out. Blank could be causing some problems.

As for dialup mode, the modem may have dialed. But I see no actual connection in the report. You might try a different INIT string for the modem. As I recall some of these modems required using "AT&F1" ir "AT&F0" rather than "ATZ" to get the modem to really connect. I would recommend enabling the PPP debugging options to help diagnose any issues.

[ root@router } setup -> System Settings -> On/Off debug & logging

dial-out chat logging = y
Enable diald logging = y
Enable dialup connection logging = y
Enable pppd logging = e

x and save the setup and then reboot. Make certain to ALWAYS make changes while in "Ethernet" mode and NEVER save the setup while in "dialup" mode because it will switch you main router type to the current mode the router is running in and really mess up your configuration.
After the above changes and changing the INIT string for the modem switch back to dialup mode and then change to "screen 3" when it dials the modem using "ALT+F3". There may also be information on other screen that is relevant, so try F3 through F7. regardless you should see the actual connection being negotiated and connected in the logs.

Also maker certain that in your BIOS that com1 which is cua0 is actually set to use IRQ 4. Because it is easy to have it configured for a non-standard IRQ and then it will not work properly. Even though it may seem to sort of work.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Previous

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x