At a complete loss

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

At a complete loss

Postby quartzeye » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:47 am

I have an old Freesco server that pretty much worked with out a hitch. It would stall from time to time during heavy torrent usage, but mostly worked ok. I had problems maintaining a connection to my works VPN but couldn't isolate it to Freesco or my ISP. Now to the problem. I switched ISP's for more bandwidth and now the router stalls every few minutes. No real change in usage, it just stops working. I d/loaded the latest version, hoping that it would solve my problems and have not been able to get it to connect out to the internet at all. I have attached a report from the old install and the new install that I am running off of floppy. Can anyone tell me what the heck I am doing wrong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
quartzeye

Re: At a complete loss

Postby Lightning » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:30 pm

Neither of the two reports show that you have any working network cards. I do see that the machine shows that there are four network cards in the machine, but none of the drivers are loading for them. This could be from a number of different things such as the BIOS not set as "NON-PnP OS" or possibly the wrong drivers loaded or if you made the report in setup mode which does not provide all of the information. It looks like one eepro100, two VIA and one unknown ethernet device. But I really need to see them in working condition. If the reports were in setup mode boot the machine normally and type "report" at the command prompt to get a good report.txt
There could also be an IRQ issue that needs to be resolved in the BIOS or possibly by changing slots in the machine. Regardless the main issue is with the network cards.

I do have one peice of advice and in particular with your configuration and that is that cheap network cards will always have issues in a router. Any type of card will run fine in a client machine by it's self. But when all data must go through multiple network cards it is critical that they are high quality cards and they must be bus mastering cards like the eepro100 or something like a 3c905. There are also some very good four port network cards made by Intel and by 3com that are very good for this type of application.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby free » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:02 pm

I have a similar problem and I do plan to upgrade the computer and network cards.
Network cards are:
PILA 8460B INTEL EtherExpress Pro 100+ (chip GD82559)
3COM 3C905CX-TXM (chip 920-ST03 40-0664-003)
I have both cards by two. What to choose?
free

Postby Lightning » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:27 pm

Both cards are very good cards and I have used both in numerous systems, but my first choice personally is the Intel eepro100 network cards. I am not certain if it is the driver or the cards them selves. But they seem to be more stable over really long periods of time (years). At present I use an on board eepro100 for my Internet connection and a Netgear GA311 for my internal Gigabit network in a Intel 1Ghz P3 for my server. But previously it had two Intel cards in it.Regardless of which you choose they are all supported by default in 0.4.3
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x