wireless clients

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x

wireless clients

Postby mondo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:09 pm

am in a process of using D-Link router as an access point on freesco for the wireless clients. I am using the switch to connect to wired clients. This D-Link is a used one and does not have the manual. The D-Link has five ports ; four for wired LAN and one for internet port. How do I connect the internet port? Does it connect to the switch?

Thanks

mondo
mondo

Re: wireless clients

Postby Lightning » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:12 pm

The best way to connect a wireless router is NOT to use the external connection at all. You can connect any of the four wired internal connections to your hub or switch. The go into it's web control panel and disable all of it's services such as DNS and DHCP and on a lot of wireless routers they even have a box to disable the external connection completely. You can leave in place wep encryption or even MAC filtering depending on the security level you want.

What that does is to turn it into just a wireless access point where DHCP and everything else is handled directly by FREESCO. It also allows things like the Windows network neighborhood to function across the wired and wireless clients.

If you don't have the manual and or you don't know how to connect to the web control panel. There is always a reset button on the backside or bottom that will put it back to factory defaults which can be looked up online in it's down-loadable manual.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby koni » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:29 pm

Hello,

You can leave in place wep encryption or even MAC filtering depending on the security level you want.

The security Mode for D-Link router includes: None, WEP, WPA-Personal, and WPA-Enterprise.

I do not want anybody to use my router, which one would you recommend for security mode without complication?

thanks

mon
koni

Postby Lightning » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:03 pm

which one would you recommend for security mode without complication?
wpa is more secure than wep, but neither are 100% secure, just more secure. Every obstacle you put in place increases security such as adding MAC filtering. But the cost is always convenience and if you add MAC filtering then any new machine must have it's MAC address entered into the system. Which on my own system means that I have to turn security off then the machine will connect and I can get the MAC address added and then I can turn MAC filtering back on or I have to manually get the MAC address from the machine it is in and add it manually. So it is not as convenient as just encryption, but both are as secure as you can get.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby mondo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:01 pm

Hello Lightning;

Recently I have been having problem with my freesco, and on my WIFI it is not secure and every time I have to use it I have to push the button on the router in order to connect to the internet. I presume somebody is using my WIFI and I decided to secure it. I use
WPA-Persona
to secure it and when it asked for security key, i put six characters number which it did not like.Is it limited with the number of characters on the security key?

thanks

mondo
mondo

Postby Lightning » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:19 pm

Generally when you put the initial key into the wifi it will generate several different codes and one of those codes will be in use by the selection you choose. That is usually the code you want to enter into the clients.
On my own system as the number of people who could use it is somewhat limited I just use the MAC filtering on the wifi unit.
Lightning
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby mondo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:15 pm

Hello Lightning,

generate several different codes and one of those codes will be in use by the selection you choose.
I never used before, but seems to be a pain on the as.....every time one logins into the system, you have to enter this code?

regards

mondo
mondo

Postby Lightning » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:34 pm

every time one logins into the system, you have to enter this code?
No, the client will hold the code, so it should only have to be entered once.
Lightning
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby mondo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:33 am

Hello Lightning,

My wifi is setup with the D-Link router as wireless Access Point.Every time I have to push up the button on the router in order to connect. I have not changed the security code. This becomes annoying. I am using freesco 0.4.3. I thought somebody was using my wifi but I am not sure If required I shall send the report. Please help

thanks

mondo
mondo

Postby Lightning » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:42 pm

My wifi is setup with the D-Link router as wireless Access Point.Every time I have to push up the button on the router in order to connect.
That should not be that way, so include a report.txt and also include an explanation on how the wifi is connected and configured and what button you are talking about.
Lightning
FREESCO GURU !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.3.x