Exim

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x 3rd Party Packages

Exim

Postby mondo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:57 pm

Hello,
I have 038 freesco and in a process of configuring Exim. I have winam.homeip.net from dyndns and on testing, it seems to be configured ok;

telnet router.ip.address 25

220 freesco.zapto.org ESMTP Exim 4.50 Sat, 04 Feb 2006 03:12:34 +0000

telnet router.ip.address 110

+OK Qpopper (version 4.0.5) at router.inet starting.

I edited rc_exim file

edit /pkg/rc/rc_exim.
Comment out the firewall rule by adding”#” at the beginning of the line(s) that say:
ipfwadm -I -a $Pd -P tcp -W $INET -D 0/0 25 $LOG
ipfwadm -I -a $Pd -P udp -W $INET -D 0/0 25 $LOG

I use outlook to send/receive mail and I get the following error

The host 'mail.winam.homeip.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'mail.winam.homeip.net', Server: 'mail.winam.homeip.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure (SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

Outlook configuration looks ok.
I shall post the report if required.
Any idea what I am missing?

Thanks mondo
mondo

Re: Exim

Postby Lightning » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:19 pm

Exim is NOT the issue here, Exim is only responsible for sending email and receiving email from outside sources. If you want to connect and receive email from the server then you need to install either an smtp or pop server. Personally I use Teapop. But there are several other packages available and they all use port 110 to connect to which is what your log is showing the issue is.

Also just to be completely clear, the firewall rules ONLY apply to outside connections. You can always connect internally even with the rules in place. Which for the smtp or pop server you may want to leave in place to eliminate outside connections.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby mondo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:42 am

Lightning,

I use teapop and (with rc_teapop restart) it seems to be running . Do I have to do any setup on teapop ?

Thanks

mondo
mondo

Postby Lightning » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:11 pm

There is no configuration for teapop. The only thing that teapop does is to read the directories in the exim mail directories for user names and the password file for passwords. If the two are supplied by the user then it sends them the mail as requested.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby mondo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:36 am

I wonder why it cannot find the host?
The host 'mail.winam.homeip.net' could not be found

Thanks

mondo
mondo

Postby Lightning » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:55 pm

Don't use the "mail" extension because you don't have it included unless you did it manually.
In your dynamic DNS update I am certain you only listed 'winam.homeip.net'. So the router knows nothing about the mail domain when added to it.

You can also of course manually add the mail domain in the DNS configuration under exporting services.

But the simplest thing to do is just use the regular domain without the 'mail' add on for your client configuration.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to 3rd Party Package Support for FREESCO v0.3.x