Intel Pro 1Gb LAN supported on 0.3.8?

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x

Intel Pro 1Gb LAN supported on 0.3.8?

Postby Thasaidon » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:44 am

Would this card work in Freesco 0.3.8?

Intel PCI Adapter PRO/1000GT LP LAN 1000Mbit
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/a ... erview.htm

I'm asking this because I recently got my fiber connection to the internet, currently running 50Mb/50Mb.
The current 3Com cards do a fine job, as they are 10/100Mb
However, my ISP is going to upgrade to 100Mb/100Mb in a while, so I want to replace the 3Com 10/100Mb cards for Intel 10/100/1000Mb cards...

Does anyone have any experience with these cards?
Or does anyone have other suggestions on what 1Gb cards to use?

Thanx in advance
Experience shared, is experience gained.

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Re: Intel Pro 1Gb LAN supported on 0.3.8?

Postby Lightning » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:54 pm

That card is not supported, however if you could find an Intel 1Gb card that was about 12 years old it probably would work.
As for cards specific names that will work in FREESCO, I am unsure and the only specific one that I know of is the new Netgear GA311 card supported by the rtl8169 driver. However at this time I do NOT recommend investing in the card until justdave and myself can figure out the driver problem that locks FREESCO up under a load with this card. But this is something that we are working on and trying to fix.
There is also a Yellowfin G-NIC 1Gb and Symbios SYM83C885 driver but I have no idea what cards the driver really supports. Those are just the names used inside the driver list for recognized cards.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Re: Intel Pro 1Gb LAN supported on 0.3.8?

Postby Thasaidon » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:43 am

Thanx for the reply.

The Netgear GA311 which was initially my first choice, until I read about the "crashing" problems with Freesco here on the forum.
And since Intel and 3Com seem to be "THE" brand cards to use, I figured this intel would be supported. Allas...

As for Freesco Freezing with the GA311, I think this might be caused by the Realtek chipset.
I used to have two "nameless" NICs in my Freesco with the Realtek chipset too.
When generating a heavy load, Freesco would freeze up within minutes. That's why I bought 2 3Com cards to replace the RTL cards.
And now it all works just fine.
Experience shared, is experience gained.

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.3.x