Is it possible to make a connection to a NAS?

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x

Is it possible to make a connection to a NAS?

Postby Marc » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to make a connection to a NAS on the network with freesco?
I tried mount and smbmount and with both I failed. I know it works with ftp (In freesco Midnight Commander FTPlink works perfectly) but I would like to mount into the filesystem a NAS on my network. Shares are like girls, first you ping it, then nslookup it, browse it, FTP the share and now I want to mount it.
Code: Select all
smbmount //marcnas/share /mnt/bootdev/router/nas -n -c freesco
(/mnt/bootdev/router/nas is chmod 777) gives:
Memory fault

This share plays hard to get.
Is there anyone out there who has this working? If so, did you use the mount or the smbmount command?
Marc
pc1mh.nl.eu.org
Marc

Re: Is it possible to make a connection to a NAS?

Postby CDFiXER » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:21 pm

I tried mount and smbmount and with both I failed.

Did you install the SAMBA package on Freesco? The above will not work without SAMBA installed and working.

Also the Linux 'native' NFS is somewhat available but it takes some files from a zipslack installation, IIRC.
Catapultam habeo.
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:24 pm

As the above post you need to have Samba setup and running on your network first. Then if you netbios name is different than the hostname of that machine you may need to use a -s flag like
smbmount -s //marcnas/share /mnt/bootdev/router/nas -n -c freesco

There is the man page for smbmount in /usr/local/samba/man/man8/smbmount.8 which gives other flags that may also be needed such as the -c flag for the hostname. However with an open share this is probably not required and you could probably use the IP address of that machine if it is set as a static lease (Which I recommend when mounting file systems).
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Marc » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:05 am

Samba is installed and running on the freesco server. Its actually a linux samba share I am trying to connect because the Iomega Home Network Hard Drive runs samba on embedded linux. It has a static lease.
smbmount //marcnas/share /mnt/bootdev/router/nas -n -c freesco
has the -c flag with value freesco. No passwords are needed to connect the share so the -n option is given. the option -s does not help. Whenever all settings are correct a Memory fault is given.

In the forum I read some posts where the connection can not be made. I cant find posts where a successful connection to a samba share is made.
However,
smbclient -L marcnas -N
returns:
 Unknown parameter encountered: "time service"       Ignoring unknown parameter "time service"
added interface ip=192.168.1.1 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0       added interface ip=192.168.3.1 bcast=192.168.3.255 nmask=255.255.255.0      added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
Got a positive name query response from 127.0.0.1 ( 192.168.3.20 )      Domain=[MARCLAN] OS=[R] Server=[R]

Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        Boeken         Disk
        Music          Disk
        Fun            Disk
        games          Disk
        Films          Disk
        PUBLIC         Disk
        .Trash-1001    Disk
        IPC$           IPC

Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------

So smbclient -L has no problem with the connection. The command shows all available shares.
smbclient \\\\marcnas\\Films -N gets me into the share in sort of a FTP-like SMB shell and with the command ls I can browse all files in the share. But now I am on the nas in a shell with the option to 'put' and 'get' so this is not really a solution for mounting.

I am already second base with this share. I still would like to get third base and mount her.
By the way, what does the R mean in "OS=[R] Server=[R]"?
Is the smbfs.o module needed if you mount an smb file system to your Freesco box with the smbmount command?

insmod /boot/drv/smbfs.o gives:
Error: The module was compiled on kernel version 2.0.38.
This kernel is version 2.0.40. They don't match!
Check that the module is usable with the current kernel,
recompile the module and try again.

lsmod gives:
Module Pages Used by
3c59x.o-n 5 1
smbfs.e-n 6 11
3c90x.e-n 6 5
ip_masq_netmeeting 2 0
ip_masq_ftp 1 0
ip_masq_irc 1 0
ip_masq_vdolive 1 0
ip_masq_raudio 1 0
ip_masq_icq 1 0

No luck yet.
Marc
pc1mh.nl.eu.org
Marc

Postby Lightning » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:29 pm

Two things, the first is the smbfs.o module that you are using is probably not quite the one that you should be using. What you need to do is to download the modules-038.zip and get the correct module version for your system which I am assuming is either 037 or 038.However I am doubtful that this will have very much effect on the system just because of the kernel version. Then install that driver in the /boot/drv/ directory and replace the current smbfs module you have.
Secondly I am wondering about the share name that you are specifying as /share/ when trying to mount it because I did not see a share name of "share" in your list ?
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Marc » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:28 am

As you I doubt if smbfs.o is really needed. Maybe the syntax of the command is indeed the problem. As you see above the //// and // thing was not that obvious either.

In windows the nas looks like this: \\Marcnas\Films So I guessed the servername is marcnas and the sharename is Films. Ooh I understand, I used share as an example. In reality I typed Films.

Options: Is the capital F needed? Is a $ at the end of the sharename needed? Do I have to double slash like with smbclient? Any combinations of these?

Ill try them one by one.
Marc
pc1mh.nl.eu.org
Marc

Postby Marc » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:16 am

All combinations tried and no success. Some give memory fault and I suspect these syntaxes to be correct.
I also read on the internet that smbclient does not and smbmount does use smbfs compiled into the kernel.
"lsmod" returns:
Module Pages Used by
3c59x.o-n 5 1
smbfs.e-n 6 2
3c90x.e-n 6 5
ip_masq_netmeeting 2 0
ip_masq_ftp 1 0
ip_masq_irc 1 0
ip_masq_vdolive 1 0
ip_masq_raudio 1 0
ip_masq_icq 1 0

but the smbfs.gz in the modules.zip copied to /boot/drv/ does not do anything.
Last edited by Marc on Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc
pc1mh.nl.eu.org
Marc

Postby Lightning » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:00 am

I used the exact commands on my own machine and it showed absolutely no errors and it mounted the share without any issues. So there is definitely something going on with your system that is causing a problem. Exactly what that problem is will be the more difficult problem. However if you could start by posting your smb.conf file and before you do you should correct the line that shows "time service = yes" to "time server = yes" in that file as well. This was a typo in the original package that has been corrected on my site now.

Thinking harder about an issue similar to this one but a different subject there was a library that caused problems. It was the newer version of the openssl-0.9.7e package that was causing some memory fault issues and it caused some issues with some other aplications as well. If you have this new 0.9.7e openssl package installed then I suggest removing it and loading the older 096g version and it may solve this problem. Be sure to reboot the machine after the package change.

Also you must use the smbmount command because the standard mount command in FREESCO does not support external file systems.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Marc » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:27 pm

You did it so it can be done.
OK first I think I need to upgrade to 038 or 042. Maybe its a problem somewhere in 036 or, and that's most probable, its me tinkering with the system too much.
Ill upgrade and try again. At least I learned how to smbclient. It can be scripted so that opens a world of possibilities.
Thanks for all the input people. Ill let you know how I did smbmount with a higher version of freesco.
Marc
pc1mh.nl.eu.org
Marc

Postby Lightning » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:18 pm

I sometimes forget about other versions of Samba. Which for the 04x series there is only the 2.2.7a version. However for the 03x series there is also the 2.2.8 version which I tried a long time back and had problems with. So if you do have the 2.2.8 version installed now make sure when you upgrade the OS that you install the 2.2.7a version of Samba as I am running. Regardless an OS update is a good idea because of the new enhancements.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.3.x