Using Freesco With An External Print Server?

If it does not fit any where else, then post it here.
SPAM is not allowed, here or any other forums

Postby CDFiXER » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:08 pm

I would appreciate any info on getting Freesco to print TO an external print server via ethernet. I have an existing print server on my network (Lexmark L2501e, IIRC) that due to what the printer is used for must remain in use on my network. The existing print server is compatible with just about anything I have thrown at it and is LPD compatible.

If I understand from reading the lprng website docs, Dingetje's lprng package is all I will need?

Thanks in advance!
Catapultam habeo.
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:19 pm

If I understand from reading the lprng website docs, Dingetje's lprng package is all I will need?

You are correct and how to configure this is even included as examples inside the configuration (printcap) file of the lprng package in an easy to understand manor.

Also from that type configuration it will share the remote printer as if it were a local printer directly connected to FREESCO and it is capable of sharing it as a Windows based printer through Samba if you configure it in Samba's configuration.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby CDFiXER » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:57 pm

I just need to print from Freesco certain screens and logs.

The print server works fine with Windoze clients all by its lonesome just fine.

I guess the next thing will be to decipher the printcap I need for the printer, shouldn't be too tough since it supports HPCL3,5 and a handful of other printing methods.

Thanks for the confirmation!
Catapultam habeo.
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Return to Other Discussions