Zipslack Setup

Packaging/Compiling/Client Information Forums, including Author's chit chat forum and soon others.

Postby Slowpoke » Wed May 07, 2008 1:53 pm

I have had Zipslack set up & working before, but I couldn't find the drive I kept it on, so I decided to create a new VMware PC for the purpose of compiling kernels & stuff.

I have the VMwPC set up with Win98+ZipSlack 3.9, downloaded the freesco source, and when following the HowTo for development, the step I'm running into problems with is "make modules_install". This fails with the error:
ZipSlack:/usr/src/linux# make modules_install
/bin/sh: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
make: *** [modules_install] Error 2
ZipSlack:/usr/src/linux#

I did notice that the freesco source tarball expected to put it's files into "/usr/src/linux", so, I made a fresh "freesco-2.0.39" folder and linked "linux" to it before extracting the source. After getting this error the first time, I thought perhaps I shouldn't have changed the "linux" symbolic link, so, pointed it back to where it was, and re-extracted the source there. I still get the same error. I also tried loading the .038-config & only changing the "nickname/kernel maker" entry, and again I get the same error.

Can someone point me in the right direction to get this going? Thanks!
Slowpoke
Advanced Member

Postby dingetje » Thu May 08, 2008 10:41 am

You are referring to <a href='http://dingetje.homeip.net/dokuwiki/freesco/howtos/setting_up_an_development_environment' target='_blank'>this howto</a>?

The fact that the error is on line 2 may suggest you have a ^M code problem, try dos2unix.

BTW: I've noticed zipslack has taken zipslack 3.9 off line! :(
GreetZ
http://dingetje.homeip.net

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO Crazed !!

Postby Slowpoke » Thu May 08, 2008 1:28 pm

Actually, I have both your page & Fredrik's page bookmarked, and at the time had Fredrik's page open, but, yes, that is what I was following.

I checked, and there are no ^M's in the "Makefile". Just in case, I ftp'd it to my FREESCO box, ran fromdos on it and ftp'd it back (binary mode both ways) to the VMwPC, but still get the error. (I get the same error on "make freesco-modules", too... Looking closer at the Makefile, I wonder - those are the only two sections that use "@ ( \" and ")" to group the commands... Perhaps I should try stripping that out, along with all the "...; \"'s so they look like the other Makefile entries?)

slackware.cs.utah.edu has both ftp & http access, and still has all versions going back to 3.0, but this is in the U.S.A., and not so close to you... I see that the Netherlands' mirrors have taken 3.9 off-line - try checking other countries close to you from the "get slack" link on slackware.com; I'm sure there are still some others left near you that still have it on-line.
Slowpoke
Advanced Member

Postby Slowpoke » Thu May 08, 2008 2:02 pm

Slowpoke wrote:...those are the only two sections that use "@ ( \" and ")" to group the commands...

I was on the right track, there...

There is a line in both "modules_install" and "freesco-modules" that has a hash at the beginning of it so as to make it a comment, however, those sections are grouped in "( )", and will NOT get ignored inside parentheses! After removing the two comment lines, the Makefile works!
Slowpoke
Advanced Member

Postby dingetje » Thu May 08, 2008 2:26 pm

Cool! B)

BTW and FYI I do have zipslack 3.9 on my own server, but its just that one of the FAQ's is pointing to the slackware ftp site and that leads to a dead link, at least when clicked on from The Netherlands.

I've asked Lewis to put the zipslack 3.9 archive on the FREESCO SourceForge site for download.
GreetZ
http://dingetje.homeip.net

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO Crazed !!

Return to Packaging/Compiling/Client Information Forums