Compiling With Zipslack

Packaging/Compiling/Client Information Forums, including Author's chit chat forum and soon others.

Postby Slowpoke » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:10 am

Hello everyone,

I'm preparing a ZipSlack machine to compile FREESCO kernels and packages on, and I had read something somewhere about a suggestion to mount /var/something or /usr/something as a separate mount point, so that before every re-compile, this mount should be wiped clean to better optimize compiling times or sizes. I've spent the last few days looking and searching, but I can not remember where I saw this to find out what the exact info was... Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and/or know where I can find this info, or am I loosing my mind??

-Slowpoke
Slowpoke
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:42 pm

I suspect the post you are refering to comes from some time back where someone wonderd why my kernels were smaller than the one that he was making with the same exact options. The final answer is that a fragmented source leads to a larger final result, but in most cases it is not very much of a difference unless you are counting every byte as I do on occasion.
Personally other than for the default kernel in FREESCO and the ramdrive I don't worry about any minor fragmentation size gains.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Slowpoke » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:39 pm

Thanks Lightning - I didn't know that the gain in compression was only marginal. I did, however, finally locate where I saw this info: It's on the kernel mirrors, on the /kernels/compiling.html page.
Tips and tricks for creating a customized kernel:
    </li>
  • Create a separate partition for the FREESCO kernel source and mount it in Zipslack on /usr/src
    </li>
  • Format this partition every time you want to make a new kernel in order to prevent file defragmentation thus creating the smallest kernel size possible</li>

-Slowpoke
Slowpoke
Advanced Member

Return to Packaging/Compiling/Client Information Forums