loadballancing

Remember this is a 1.44Mb floppy disk router, space is limited.

Postby Lord @rchangel » Tue May 20, 2003 12:00 am

I searched through the forum and I havn't come up with a question about this yet, so I'm going to go ahead and assume that no one has brought it up yet. So, anyways...

I'm wondering what the possibilities of supporting multiple WAN lines. I'm thinking all incoming connections would be delegated by firewall rules and such. Like... port 80 on ip 37.58..1 goes to machine a versus 80 coming in on ip 43...1 goes to machine b.

All outbound traffic could be evenly delegated via freesco, or, rules could be set up based upon the specific machines ip requesting WAN access.

...any way to make this possible with the current build??

Thx much for the nfo.
Lord @rchangel

Postby xda » Sat May 24, 2003 5:55 am

If I understadnd right then load balancing is that two NIC is working together and they have one IP and NIC-s must support this feature. Like Intel servers motherboards with two NIC-s. I have win 2000 server with load balancing but how make is this in linux?? This question is intersting me too...
<i>The box saids Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux</i>
xda

Postby Lord @rchangel » Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:44 pm

I still havn't heard anything in regards to the fesability of this. I don't know if maybe it wasn't exactly clear or what, but what I meant was this:

2+ WAN lines connect to the freesco box, then whatever internal subnets. Port forwarding rules determine what information from the 2+ WAN lines go where. Then there is also the interoperability of outgoing connections going to a particular WAN line based upon load that could be given to the freesco setup(like linespeed:768/768).

Or ANYTHING along these lines.

Thx much.
Lord @rchangel

Postby Howler » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:38 pm

My guess is, it is not possible. What are the FULL requirements to do this, what Kernel, what drivers, what NICs etc. etc. Understand, FREESCO does not use the latest and greatest kernel, or it would not fit on a floppy disk. Again, my guess is no. I also do think this was talked about before, but maybe not using these exact words to describe it.

Try it, hack the scripts and see what happens ;)

Howler
Howler

Postby jerry311 » Sun May 15, 2005 11:14 am

Is it working?

As I read in the freesco manula it supports 10 networks (or simething like this).

Is it possible to make a load balance?
I mean i have 4 3Mbit / 0.5Mbit lines summary it could be 12M/2M :)
As i know a full load balance must be suported on both ends of the network cable.

In this case i would like to make a "load balance" that divides the traffic based on the line loads. So when i start the 1st download the freesco starts to download on line 1 then the 2nd on line 2 and so on. The download shpuld start on the line with the less load.

Can i do it with freesco?
jerry311

Postby Howler » Sun May 15, 2005 12:25 pm

Search the forums

Howler

Closing this thread.
The first, the original and still the main FREESCOsoft site http://www.freescosoft.com/
The best place for FREESCO packages and related files.
Created and maintained by me (Howler), and mirrored by many (well, ok mirrored by some).
Howler
Advanced Member

Return to FREESCO wish list