Long down time :( :(

New versions, modules, add-ons, etc., will be posted here.

Postby Howler » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:28 pm

Hello all,

First off, I AM SORRY, but it could not be helped.

Well .... here is the story behind the extra long down time.

The hosting provider, E-Access, the people who house the server (an excellent place), noticed the lengthy down times that they were getting from their current upstream provider (I recorded 2 main ones, they had 4 or better in the recent past). Since the last one seemed to be "The straw that broke the camels back" they switched upstream providers, after a day or more of down time already. And as we all know, when a provider changes, the IPs change, so well, the next part of the story.

Since the IPs changed, the IP for the forum changed, since that is remotely done by another, that will take just a bit (as expected) to propgate and such. My own FREESCOsoft sites (and other sites) 'may' be a little longer, as the name server also changed and that needs to be updated and propgate again, then the new IPs also.

I now have the new IPs added to the websites, I have tested 'most' of them and all should work just fine, including the main one, this forum.

I am sorry for the down time, it was out of my hands and out of the hosting companies hands, and it was time to switch with the down times the old upstream provider has having.

Howler

P.S.
On another note, it was unfortunate for the forums here, that I was not able to do the server upgrade at the same time, but well I was not about to put that work on E-Access at the same time they have to renumber their networks (that is enough of a job). The server move should still take place within the next month (as planned at this moment, but not in stone) so be expecting that also.

P.S.S
Also, thank you to all that had informed me about the down time. For some I am sorry I did not get back to you, when the server was unreachable, so was my email server :( I will work on a solution to that. To the others I may not have answered, I am sorry I was most likely busy working on issues with this or busy with other things, like pulling my hair out ;) or who knows what.
The first, the original and still the main FREESCOsoft site http://www.freescosoft.com/
The best place for FREESCO packages and related files.
Created and maintained by me (Howler), and mirrored by many (well, ok mirrored by some).
Howler
Advanced Member

Postby Howler » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:31 pm

An update on some information.

I had everything setup by Thursday afternoon (the same time I gave the new IP for the forums) It was not updated in their DNS until I called the new owners of the Can-Host company and stresses that it had not been done in a timely fashion and that is not good business practice. Well within 3 hours time, from my phone call, they had it changed.

Welcome back to the forums everyone.

Howler
The first, the original and still the main FREESCOsoft site http://www.freescosoft.com/
Created and maintained by me (Howler), and mirrored by many (well, ok mirrored by some).
Howler
Advanced Member

Postby Howler » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:52 pm

An over all time line, so the correct fingers can be pointed in the correct places.

Tuesday - Thursday was my fault/issue/problem

Thursday - Monday (this morning) was the fault/issue/problem of Can-Host and/or their new owners Mountain Cable. Can-Host is not open on the weekends, so nothing could be done then and nothing was done in the day and a 1/2 they had before the weekend.

Howler
Howler
Advanced Member

Postby Howler » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:24 pm

Speaking of long (as the thread is named)

I think this thread is getting long. At least it will not get any longer ;)

Later all and welcome back again.

Howler
Howler
Advanced Member

Postby Howler » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:15 am

If you are reading this Tuesday morning, you most likely will not be able to later :( :( :( until things are fixed AGAIN :( :( :(

EXCUSE MY LANGUAGE

EDIT !!!!
The next comment is my personal comment in the heat of the time, take that into consideration. I do not mean to offend Can-Host in any way, except being greatly upset.
END EDIT
Those cock sucking mother fuckin assholes FUCKED UP. They did not do something the correct way and now the DNS is going back to the old IP address again. I have called them, informed them and all that fun shit and hopefully things will be fixed soon.

I am going to say this in a personal way, from me, Kevin 'Howler' ....

If you have a site or anything at Can-Host .... REMOVE IT and go to a better place. This has me "literally" pulling hair now.

Howler

ADDED :
After this is over I need a vacation, this is too much for a 'spare time' thing and I do not need less hair or more grey hair. Time for a short vacation to get away from it for a bit.
Howler
Advanced Member

Postby Howler » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:52 am

Ok, hopefully the down time will be negligable. The name servers for FREESCO.org have changed and Can-Hosts name servers mean SHIT now ;) It is all in our hands and this will most likely NEVER happen again.

Howler
Howler
Advanced Member

Postby Howler » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:59 am

Time for me to take a well deserved break. I will be around, but not like I am right now. I need to get a way for a bit, to get my composure back and get back into the stream of things. Maybe by next week I will be back to my normal self and in a much better mood.

Everyone enjoy the forum and make it usefull, that is the purpose.

Later all,
Kevin 'Howler'
Howler
Advanced Member

Return to FREESCO Announcements