Simple Login & MAC Timer

3rd Party Package Requesting

Simple Login & MAC Timer

Postby Jimi_l » Sat May 08, 2010 12:18 pm

HI All,

I have been looking for DAYS to accomplish what seems like it should be so easy. I then remembered Freesco which I have used with great success in the past so I thought I would look and see what I could find here but am still having no luck.

I want to set up a simple hotspot but have it time limited, say 60 minutes per person per day or whatever. I have so far been able to find hugely complicated systems based on Linux and using FreeRadius and NoCat and ChiliSpot (and MySQL and on and on). I have found commercial packages that claim they do this but you have to buy them to find out. I actually bought some dedicated hardware that was SUPPOSED to do this but once I got it it would not perform as advertised. It allowed you to generate hundreds of 60 minute timed codes but not one code for everyone so back it has to go.

Splash page would be nice (captive portal) but not required. Just a simple login that I can change daily and timed access. Any and all ideas entertained and welcome.

Thanks,

Jimi_l
Jimi_l

Re: Simple Login & MAC Timer

Postby Lightning » Sat May 08, 2010 1:00 pm

Actually what you are asking could be done without to much trouble in FREESCO. This is because FREESCO already has a timed access control built in. So the only thing that you would need is a login script that would gather enough information to automatically generate the code for it using a CGI script. You would however need to use the control panel server for doing this so that it has enough authority to rewrite the rules and changing the password for it would be quite simple on a daily basis. You also could make the CGI script an error page so that regardless of where the user was originally going the would be redirected to the login page.
I just posted a similar topic in the support section.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=17387
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Jimi_l » Sat May 08, 2010 1:20 pm

Hi Lightning,

I can't believe you are still at the helm of this project! Good Stuff.

I can edit some types of code (like PHP for instance) but writing from scratch not so much. Also these people are very non technical which would mean I would have to be there every day. I was sort of hoping for a more hands off approach, like a Daemon sort of thing but I know that's asking a lot.

Thanks,

Jim
Jimi_l

Postby Lightning » Sat May 08, 2010 11:27 pm

I was sort of hoping for a more hands off approach, like a Daemon sort of thing but I know that's asking a lot.

Hmmmm, well I will "consider" making a CGI script that could automate the process of allowing users online after a login. There would need to be a small amount of custom configuration as well to make it all work. But I will know more "if" I get it done. But I know that you are not the only person interested in doing something like this.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Jimi_l » Sun May 09, 2010 8:05 am

It would be worth paying for. Like I said I have literally been looking for over a week with no luck. I have been asked at least 3 times for a simple fix for-

1) One simple daily login that is timed for use but individual (I am thinking by MAC address). Everyone uses it and everyone gets their own hour or 90 min or whatever. All the commercial solutions make you share the time or generate individual codes neither of which is very practical.

2) A redirect after logging in to a page of choice would be nice. For the local library anyway, they needed to make you look at a terms of use agreement to stay in compliance. Some could use it for the menu or whatever in a commercial application.

The catch is is has to be easy, hands off ideally. The vast majority of the people in the world know how to check their E-mail and Goggle for the sports scores and that's about it. I was thinking about two things-

1) Email the code of the day somewhere (like the shop owner). No intervention required. They get the mail in the morning and post in on the white board before they open. Next day, new code and so on.
2) Have at least one or two "always get in/unlimited" code in case something gets screwed up. A back door so to speak.

If you do in fact write something like this let me know and I'll cut the check myself. Seriously, the open source Hot Spot solutions are horrible and the commercial ones not much better until you get to huge money fully managed options which for most non profits and small to medium business just aren't do-able. Could be your ticket to the big time :)

Thanks Again,

Jimi
Jimi_l

Return to 3rd Party Package Requesting