Kernel Request

3rd Party Package Requesting

Postby tom » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:57 pm

I was wondering if someone could compile a kernel with IDE-SCSI emulation enabled as well as IPSec for Apache support. I've looked in all the "usual" kernel locations but I don't think it's been made yet.

p.s. I tried Gnork's kernel-utility and it showed that this kernel exsisted in the beta-only section but after I installed it, I saw that it was 2.0.39 (that's what I get for trying a beta-only kernel).

Also, could you include support for Realtek8139, for some reason my 4-port router cards (8139D) don't like either of the drivers in the modules.zip file (same goes for 032) but they work great with the built-in modules.

Thanks,

Tom
tom
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:47 pm

There are actually three network card modules for the rtl8139 in FREESCO and the one that would be compiled into the kernel is on the floppy by default. So if your cards do not work without adding any network drivers to the floppy then for certain they will work with the module compiled into the kernel and there are slight differences between a module and a directly supported card in the kernel, so I am not claiming that you are wrong, I am just wondering if you had tried it with no driver at all loaded. I also will say that IPSEC has nothing do do with Apache and what you are asking for is VIPC support for Apache and whether you want PPtP or IPSEC support is another question all together. You also did not state if you wanted chipset or even optomized for a specific proccessor. Because if you are not specific what you will get will also not be specific.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby tom » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:32 am

Sorry, I meant VIPC, NOT IPSec. (I just need it to work with Apache)

Just to Clarify, the builtin rtl8139 kernel drivers work just fine for all my cards but the add-on modules seem to disable my 4-port router cards (but my single port intellinet 8139A based cards keep working so the driver has to be built into the kernel since loading a driver from modules.zip is not an option.

Thanks,

Tom
tom
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Gnork » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:09 pm

tom wrote:p.s.  I tried Gnork's kernel-utility and it showed that this kernel exsisted in the beta-only section but after I installed it, I saw that it was 2.0.39 (that's what I get for trying a beta-only kernel).

That's right, the Beta section menu shows the Freesco version (mostly v032) for which a kernel was designed, thus to allow version independency (All beta kernels for all Freesco versions are displayed here, while the Main menu only shows kernels compiled for the Freesco version you are currently running). Since there are no v033 beta kernels in the beta list yet, your question should be answered - it's not a bug. A petty there isn't enough space to make it more clear... :blush1:
- In need of a <a href='http://forums.freesco.org/support/index.php?showtopic=13490' target='_blank'>patched FREESCO kernel</a> ? - <br><b>= Anything that can happen, will happen =</b>
Gnork

Return to 3rd Party Package Requesting