Two Samba Servers On The One Network

If it does not fit any where else, then post it here.
SPAM is not allowed, here or any other forums

Postby auda » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:57 pm

Hi I have a problem. I have a network in the house with a samba server and it works fine. I would like to extend it to our house bus with a wirless link and have a Freesco with a second samba server for use when we are away. This Freesco will only run samba no DHCP or anything else.
I have the wireless link working, it acts like a lenght of wire. No problem there, the laptops can access the Inet and the house server.
This is how I hope to have it connected:
Code: Select all
Internet-------Freesco--------Switch-----------Wrieless**********Wireless+switch------Freesco2
                                                  |------------Desktop1                                      |-------laptop1
                                                  |------------Desktop2                                      |-------laptop2
                                                  |------------Desktop3                                      |-------laptop3
                                                  |------------Desktop4                                      |-------laptop4

What I cant do is get the two samba servers to work at the same time.
Here is the first part of the primary Freesco smb.conf

[global]
workgroup = WAGHORNS
netbios name = SHAGGER
server string = Shagger
interfaces = 192.168.1.1/24
security = share
log level = 3
log file = /usr/local/samba/var/samba.%m
max log size = 100
name resolve order = lmhosts wins hosts bcast
deadtime = 15
read size = 8192
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
load printers = yes
lpq cache time = 30
printing = lprng
printcap name = /usr/local/lprng/etc/printcap
character set = ISO8859-1
os level = 65
lm announce = Yes
preferred master = Yes
domain master = Yes
wins support = Yes
invalid users = ppp up down block unblock force unforce
guest account = root
guest ok = Yes
hosts allow = 127. 192.168.

the seconary one is identical except that I have changed these

netbios name = GYPSY
server string = Gypsy
interfaces = 192.168.1.2/24

and also these

os level = 50
preferred master = No
domain master = No

What have I got wrong ?

Auda
auda

Postby Lightning » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:52 am

netbios name = SHAGGER
server string = Shagger

I would hope that these two configuration items are also different between the two.
Secondly I would change this
os level = 50
preferred master = No
domain master = No

to this

os level = 50
preferred master = No
domain master = Yes

I then would change the OS level of the primary Samba server to something like 75 so that it will always win an election between all of the other systems as the domain master.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby auda » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:28 am

Well thats works and it doesnt, I had tried the same or similar settings before and gypsy shows up but has no shares. I tried it now with you exact settings and the same thing, no go. Hmm, before I reply that I doesnt work I try it in windows and it works. But not in LinNeighborhood. So there is a different problem for me tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.

Auda
auda

Postby dingetje » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:17 pm

Your ASCII art didn't quite come through (there's a problem with spaces in HTML), so I think you mean this:

Code: Select all
Internet-------Freesco--------Switch-----------Wireless**********Wireless+switch------Freesco2
..................................|------------Desktop1.......................|-------laptop1
..................................|------------Desktop2.......................|-------laptop2
..................................|------------Desktop3.......................|-------laptop3
..................................|------------Desktop4.......................|-------laptop4

(instead of spaces I've used dots, less readable but it survives the formatting)

The 2nd FREESCO is configured as a server with a single NIC and no NAT, correct?
Are both networks in the 192.168.x.x range?
Are there any firewalls in the wireless?
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby auda » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:33 pm

The original house network is modem---Freesco----switch----computers
I have added a wireless access point to house switch. The bus ( RV in the states) end has a linksys WRT54GS configured as a client and 5 port switch. The second freesco plugs into this as do the laptops.
The idea is that anyone can talk to anyone at home and the bus is self contained when we are away.
The 2nd FREESCO will be configured as a server with a single NIC and no NAT currently it has two NICs to reduce the number onf unknowns in the system.
It seems that it has been working fine except that LinNeighborhood in puppy linux cant see the second Freesco from the house network. When I tried it last night with windows it worked. More testing over the weekend once I get the pcmcia problem fixed.
The network is all 192.168.1.x range currently its all on the living room floor with a wired connection. I have had the wireless link working but with out the second Freesco.
Auda
auda

Postby Lightning » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:33 am

The problem could be that the Linux systems network workgroup is not configured correctly, so check the smb.conf . Because in this type of system all of the computers are not going to continue broadcasting once they find the domain master and the domain master is only going to listen for that single workgroup.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby auda » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:01 am

Problem solved. It was domain master = Yes that fixed it and a misconfigured LinNeighborhood.
Many thanks

Auda
auda

Return to Other Discussions