2 Pcmcia Nic's

If it does not fit any where else, then post it here.
SPAM is not allowed, here or any other forums

Postby Thasaidon » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:11 pm

Hi, I think I already asked this before, but I can't remember the answer, nor can I find the particular post I asked this question.
So here goes again...

I have an old laptop. Toshiba Satellite 4070CDS.
This laptop has no build in network interface, but it does have 2 pcmcia slots.
I have an old Xircom Creditcard Ethernet 10/100+ Modem 56 card
and a newer Sweex Lan Adapter PC Card 10/100

Since the Xircom is a very flat card, the Sweex fits in the above pcmcia slot.

I installed Freesco 036 on the laptop with the pcmcia package, but only the Xircom is recognized at 0x300 IRQ3.
The Sweex card is not seen at although the "speed led" is lighting up after Freesco finishes booting.

now for the million dollar question...
Is it possible at all to have 2 pcmcia card running at the same time in the same machine?
Experience shared, is experience gained.

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby Peppe/Sweden » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:02 pm

now for the million dollar question...
Is it possible at all to have 2 pcmcia card running at the same time in the same machine?

Yep , that´s possbile .
I played with a Xircom and a 3com card a while a ago - no problems .

However , I can´t find your Sweex card anywhere in the list of supported networkcards.
But , I do recall Lightning helped another member that did not have a networkcard listed and it was some tweaks in a config file.
On the other hand , you may find a cheap networkcard on ebay that works right of the box.

For more info , have a look <a href='http://www.freesco.org/support-forum200607/index.php?act=Search&CODE=show&searchid=5600fc09b043859e872ce8053ab868aa&search_in=posts&result_type=topics&highlite=pcmcia' target='_blank'>over here.</a>

And good luck! :)
[COLOR=blue] You mean that I don?t fly airplanes , I don?t have a grilfriend and don?t have a dog ? Buuh , I grow up to be a real loser! (The Kid , walt disney) [COLOR=blue]
Peppe/Sweden
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:32 pm

Yes as stated above multiple PCMCIA cards are not a problem. As for the card that is not working I would need some more information on the card to see if it actually uses a supported chipset but may just have an odball name that is not recognized by the current drivers. Which if that is the case it is a simple matter of just adding that information into the config file with the correct driver listed for it.
So try the

dump_cis

Which should give the details on the cards.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Thasaidon » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:21 am

Well, it's a Sweex LA500010\4B and as far as I know, it uses the Realtek RTL8139 Chipset.
I can't find it's specs on the <a href='http://www.sweex.com' target='_blank'>Sweex site</a> though...
However, I placed the linux drivers on my site if it's any help...
(pm me if your interested)

I linked the dump_cis output and a report.txt
<a href='http://thasaidon.homeip.net/tmp/dump.txt' target='_blank'>dump_cis output</a>
<a href='http://thasaidon.homeip.net/tmp/report.txt' target='_blank'>report.txt</a>

I also tried replacing the rtl8139.c from the pcmcia package with the one from the origional Sweex driver disk, but to no avail.

I hope the dump and report gives any clue as to why it's not working...
in the mean time, I'll be fooling around with this problem too.

---edit---
if you look at the report.txt
you'll find I have set IRQ and IO for NIC1 to 0 (zero) for the time being.

I'm also wondering about this...
Code: Select all
/dev/cua0 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
/dev/cua1 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 8250
/dev/cua3 at 0x02e8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

As far as I can tell, cua0 and cua3 are the same device (the Xircom eth and modem)
then the cua1 should be my Sweex eth...???

But if it doesn't matter if I set the IRQ to 3 or 4 in the setup (option 56) for NIC0
in both cases, it is detected and shown in ifconfig... and a ping from NIC0 to the rest of my network works ok.
It's just the Sweex (Realtek) that isn't working

Could it be the Sweex will not work because it's a 32Bit card? and the PCMCIA slot might be a 16Bit ?

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby Slowpoke » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:24 pm

Thasaidon wrote:I'm also wondering about this...
/dev/cua0 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
/dev/cua1 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 8250
/dev/cua3 at 0x02e8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

As far as I can tell, cua0 and cua3 are the same device (the Xircom eth and modem)
then the cua1 should be my Sweex eth...???

/dev/cua?'s are serial ports found on your system. Your Xircom card has a modem on it, so, that's going to show up as one of them. Unless your Sweex card has a modem as well, none of the other entries are from your Sweex card.

I don't think the IRQ of the Xircom should be set to the same IRQ as the serial ports. Of course, I don't do much work with PCMCIA cards, so, I reserve the right to be wrong here... ;)
Slowpoke
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:00 am

Hmmm, according to the dump information the card should already be supported because the manfid is already listed in the main config file and the driver listed is the fethcb_cb which should run the rtl8139 chipset.
So I am woindering if the card driver needs some extended commands in the config.opts to find the card or if it is something else.

Do you have all of the original driver source for the card ?
BTW the rtl8139.c is at least one of the the source files and not the actual compiled module and all of the drivers in the pcmcia package are in the lib/pcmcia/2.0.39/net directory.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Thasaidon » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:42 am

The weird thing is, that even if I only put the Sweex card in (thus avoiding conflicts with the Xircom), it just doesn't work either.
However, I'm not sure what IRQ and IO I should give it in the setup, since I only see this:
    io_base 2
    irq mask 0x8ebc
in the dump file.

The Xircom shows
    io 0x02e8-0x02ef
    irq mask 0x8ebc
in the dump file, which according to the ifconfig, should be IRQ 3 and IO 0x300, and is proven to work.

Do you have all of the original driver source for the card ?

I'm not sure... I just downloaded the "Linux driver" from the Sweex site just in case it would be needed.
However, this zip only contains the rtl8139.c and kern_compat.h, both dated 03-aug-2000, and I never compiled a driver before.

all of the drivers in the pcmcia package are in the lib/pcmcia/2.0.39/net directory.
Yup, I noticed but I overlooked the fact that the rtl8139.c file is for compiling, and not a driver file :D
Plus, your PCMCIA package already contains a Rtl8139.c file dated 15-aug-2004.
but I can't find any "driver file" *.o or *.gz for this card...

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:13 pm

Give me a link to your driver source files and I will see if it will compile.
Another thing that I noticed is that the rtl8139.gz and pci-scan.gz also list that cardbus chipset. So this may seem unorthidox but you could try putting those drivers in the /drv directory and see what happens, although I am doubtful it will work without the proper modules built into and configured in the pcmcia package. However as the card is showing up and there are drivers for it I am prety sure we can make it work.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Thasaidon » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:34 am

<a href='http://thasaidon.homeip.net/tmp/LA500010_Linux.zip' target='_blank'>Here</a> is the link to the driver files as I downloaded them from the Sweex site.

As for the rtl8139.gz and pci-scan.gz, I put them in the /drv folder, and set the IRQ and IO of the Realtek to 0 and 0 in the setup, but to no avail...

The strange thing is... I can now no longer ping anything via my Xircom, which I could earlier. And when I remove both files from the /drv folder and restart, the Xircom works again. In both cases the Xircom is detected and is shown in the ifconfig.

Thanx sofar for the help, I appreciate it! :)

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby Thasaidon » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:44 am

Well, I installed Ubuntu Server 7.04 on the same laptop to see if I could get things to work. When booted, Ubuntu only sees the Sweex card and not the Xircom.
But when removing both cards and re-inserting them into the slots (Xircom first), Ubuntu sees both, and after some configuring, they both work properly.

I managed to get an <a href='http://thasaidon.homeip.net/tmp/ifconfig.txt' target='_blank'>ifconfig.txt</a> and <a href='http://thasaidon.homeip.net/tmp/lshw.txt' target='_blank'>lshw -C network</a>
(you can download them by clicking on them)
ifconfig shows the Sweex using IRQ11 and IO 0x2000 (yes that is two thousand!)

Maybe this wil help some more...
For me? it just confused me more, LOL

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:08 pm

I compiled the driver and added it as well as the necessary config options into the new pcmcia package. So remove the old package or just install this one over the old one, it really shouldn't make a difference and both your cards should run "in theory"

<a href='http://lewys-spot.dyndns.org:1080/packages/0.3.x/pcmcia-3.1.34b-lightning.zip' target='_blank'>http://lewys-spot.dyndns.org:1080/packages...b-lightning.zip</a>
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Thasaidon » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:32 am

Lewis, did I tell you...
<span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>YOU ARE THE MAN!</span></span></span> :D :D :D :D

I installed the new pcmcia package, set the appropriate IRQ and IO in the setup, and voila!!!
All I have to do now, is buy a new (cheap) HD for the lappy, because the 4Gig that is in there now, is almost breathing it's last breath...

Thank you very much!!!!

There is one but...
When Freesco boots, it says:
"Starting rc_user... done"
but then it takes ages before the next lines:
"There is a nice Control Panel - ..."
and the login appear.

I'm not sure what is loaded after the rc_user (or next to the rc_user)...
but it seems to take a very very long time...
Ah well, I can live with that ;) since the main thing is working alright now!

thanx again!

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:27 pm

"Starting rc_user... done"
but then it takes ages before the next lines:
"There is a nice Control Panel - ..."
and the login appear.

Hehe well you are being punished for running an older version of FREESCO is why.
That is actually caused because your machine is not connected to the internet and it is trying to syncronize the time server. It just so happens that it is displaying the "Starting rc_user" at the same time and it can not continue until the time server check times out and then releases the rc_user to complete. This is one of the repairs included in 037 so the system does not hang even if it is not connected to the Internet.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Thasaidon » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:29 am

Yes I saw it was the timeserver, but I noticed after I already posted my previous post. :P
In my logs I was seeing Freesco trying to translate my timeserver domain via DNS.

The strange thing is... when I tested this, the Lappy did have access to the internet via my current Freesco (033) because the 1st thing I did when all was up and running, was to download your MC package :D.
but I'll check it out.

Now that the install is still "fresh" I think I'll upgrade to 037, or is 038 being released any time soon?

---update---

Just a quick update...

I noticed that when booting and Freesco "hangs" with the synctime... Freesco isn't pingable either, nor can it ping to the outside world (From TTY2).
To be sure it's no firewall rule... I added 2 rules in the rc_user to allow anything.
But it still didn't work...
However... when I log into the 2nd console and do an rc_main restart, Freesco can be pinged immediately, and the synctime process finishes too...
This only works with the rc_main restart. An rc_net restart, for example, does not work.

Also, if I change the kernel to kernel-037.vipc-ipsec (because I need vipc for Apache), Freesco displays the same problem.

Freesco does not "freeze" all the time, it just occasionally does.

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby Thasaidon » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:25 am

here's another update....

I was thinking this could be a hardware or system problem, so I tried various settings in the BIOS, but to no avail.
When I start the laptop, Freesco does not connect to the network 2 out of 3 times when (re)booting.
the only solution then is either another (re)boot or a rc_main restart from tty2.
Like I said before... an rc_net restart does not work.

The HDD has some bad sectors, but those are near the end of the HDD and not on the part where Freesco is located, also various scandisks show everything ok (except for the already marked bad clusters).

So what could it be?

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Other Discussions