DHCRELAY How-to

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x 3rd Party Packages

DHCRELAY How-to

Postby thelemanu » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi,
Freeso seems to be exactly what I need. A simple and light router for 5-6 subnets.
However I need one more feature: DHCP relay.
I am running various servers/clients, in VMware worksation 8, using different subnets.
On one of then I have a DHCP server to cover all the others. I do not want to use the built-in Freesco DHCP server, as I need to study the MS one.
I have found the non-packages DHCRELAY at http://www.freescosoft.com/fs.04x.non.php
I have been using a ready made floppy at http://it-experts.dk/blogs/rsj/archive/2009/01/25/freesco-routing-in-a-virtual-environment.aspx

Now I need some detailed help on how to get DHCRELAY on to that floppy.
Or detailed help on how to re-create a floppy with DHCRELAY included.

If you can help with the above, it would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
thelemanu

Re: DHCRELAY How-to

Postby Lightning » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:11 pm

What version of FREESCO are you running?
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby thelemanu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:50 am

Hi, I am running 044
thelemanu

Postby Lightning » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Sorry should have asked for this the first time, but a report.txt would also be helpful if you want a detailed explanation.

But a general explanation is that you put the dhcrelay binary in the /boot/bin/ directory. You can keep it gzip'ed, so just leave it named as it is with a .gz extension. Then edit the /rc/rc_user file and in the $star) section add this line between $star) and the ;;.
edit /rc/rc_user
Code: Select all
dhcrelay -i eth1 -i eth2 xxx.xx.xx.xx
F10
sync
reboot

You need to add a -i interface for every interface dhcrelay is supposed to broadcast to. But do not add the interface the actual DHCP server is on. Which that servers IP address is added where xxx.xx.xx.xx is located and more than one server can be specified by adding more IP addresses.

I am unsure of the method you are using to add files to the machine. But the "snarf" command can be used to download the dhcrelay.gz binary.

cd /boot/bin/
snarf URL/dhcrelay.gz
sync

Be aware that configuring the Windows DHCP server to provide all of the correct information so the subnet clients will be able to connect correctly will be fun, because it will need to provide FREESCO's interface IP that faces the client as there gateway.. :wink:
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby thelemanu » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:50 am

Hi,
Ok in fact it was relatively simple. I added dhcrelay.gz in the floppy using WinImage.
I modified /rc/rc_user and by reading the message at the start it seems to start properly and beeing working

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Code: Select all
Loading Modules... Done
Start ing Mode ethernet
Initializing interface ethø  Done 10.37.0.1
Initializing interface eth1 Done 10.37.2.1
Initializing interface eth2 Done 10.35.249.1
Initializing interface eth3 Done 10.37.4.1
NAT and firewalling is disabled... Done
Adding default route... Done eth0
Starting rc_user start... Internet Software ConsortiuM DHCP Relay
Agent 2.0p16
Copyright 1997, 1998, 1999 The Internet Software ConsortiuM.
All rights reserved.
Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/dhcp—contrib.htMl
Listening on Socket/eth3
Sending on Socket/eth3
Listening on Socket/eth2
Sending on Socket/eth2
Listening on Socket/ethi
Sending on Socket/ethl
Done
-------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But with Static IP clients, if I ping from from sub0 to sub1, and from sub1 to sub0 it works.
However a client in sub1 does not get an IP from the DHCP server in sub0?
Any suggestion on what I should check?
Advices?

Thanks

---------------------------My network---------------------------------------------------------
subø 10.37.0.0/23 DHCP server - DC
sub1 10.37.2.0/24 Client XP
sub2 10.35.0.0/24 Client
sub3 10.37.4.0/24 Client
thelemanu

Postby Lightning » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:47 pm

Any suggestion on what I should check?
Advices?
Unfortunately I do not have even close to enough details as to every clients configuration or even the purpose of this configuration to really help.
I will say that in almost all test type environments the reason for failure is miss configuration of one or more of the clients or a failure of the test environment it's self.

As for being able to ping back and forth across subnets, that is also dependent on how FREESCO is configured. It is also dependent on how each client is configured. Which every client connected to FREESCO MUST have there default gateway pointing at FREESCO's internal IP that is on that subnet. So the gateway for each of your clients MUST be different, which is the tricky part configuring them with a remote DHCP server. The built in DHCP server would just do this automatically. So my recommendation to start with is to enable and configure the built in DHCP server and then make sure that it works as you are wanting before you try and do it from a remote DHCP server. You may also want to disable the firewall in FREESCO depending on what purpose you are really using FREESCO for. With the firewall enabled it is intended to be facing the Internet on Network0 and will not allow that network access to the internal subnets.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to 3rd Party Package Support for FREESCO v0.4.x