Problem With Freesco As Dialup Router

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Postby timononk » Tue May 05, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi,

I would like to have help troubleshooting my Freesco 4.2 installation Please.

I use Freesco as a dialin router. One modem and one Network Card. I have a Wireless router that is configure to act like a Hub on the network card. Freesco is at IP address 192.168.0.1, the modem is at 192.168.0.2 and the Wireless router has a static ip at 192.168.0.3. I use the DHCP server from Freesco. My laptop receive is IP from Freesco.

Here my problem, after a complete restart of Freesco, my laptop connect, receive an IP address, Freesco connect to my ISP via modem and everything is fine. 10 minutes after I have stop my Laptop, Freesco stop the communication with my ISP.

But if I try to reconnect to internet with my Laptop, Freesco is not able to establish the communication with my ISP. I see message that look like this: Chat finish successfully... modem hangup...

Looks like Freesco is sending a command to my modem to close the connection at the same time the connection is establish.

If I reboot PC running Freesco, it will work for the first communication only not the others.

I'm able to reproduce the problem if I have only the modem and Freecso and using the command control up, Freesco connect, control down, Freesco disconnect, control up, Freesco fail to connect.

I have include the report.txt produce after the fail to connect.

Any help would be welcome.

Timononk
timononk

Postby Lightning » Tue May 05, 2009 7:17 pm

Usually this type of problem is caused from the INIT string you are using for the modem because at each redial the modem is re initialized. Which depending on the brand and model can change what string you should use, which by default the standard ATZ just does a modem reset. But to start with I would try changing the modem INIT string to something that will reset the factory defaults like

AT&F1
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby timononk » Fri May 08, 2009 6:02 pm

Thanks for the answer but I still have the problem.

I have a US Robotic v90 external modem. I have tried a lot of init string found at modemhelp.org.

As far as I know, the init string is send to the modem before the dialin. The second time, the modem does dialin, connect and is requesting information form my ISP when he receive a signal to hangup.

Would you like to have the debug mode screenshot?

Is it possible that Freesco is playing with NAT rule at the same time deleting the rule that gives access to the modem?

Thanks for your help.

Timononk
timononk

Postby timononk » Sat May 09, 2009 8:14 am

Here more information:

connect: Dialin [XXXX] T819601xxxx
(-: Chat: may 09 07:51:50 connect 50666/ARQ/V90/Lamp/V42Bis
connect: Chat finished sucessfuly
diald: Running pppd: /sbin/pppd -detach modem CRTSCTS MTU 1500 MRU 1500 noauth holdoff 5 noipdefault usepeerdns
pppd: pppd 2.3.11 started by root uid0
pppd: connect: pppd0 <-->/dev/cua0
pppd: modem hangup
pppd: connection ended
timononk

Postby Lightning » Sun May 10, 2009 9:41 am

Are you absolutely certain that the modem is set to IRQ 4 ?
Because the IRQ is not auto detected and IRQ 4 is just the default IRQ for cua0. The modem has a separate jumper for the IRQ and so it can be changed. Also be certain that the system BIOS is not also using COM1 (cua0) or IRQ 4 for anything else.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby markmcjr » Sat May 30, 2009 1:23 am

It might be a good idea to see if the pppd process is actually terminating when the connection is disconnected. Some times it will hang and if you kill it, you can restart the dialup connection.

That may help in your troubleshooting...
<br>Regards,<br>Mark<br><br><span style='color:purple'>-------------------------<br>www.mytruetech.com<br><br>Great technology makes people successful; Great people make technology successful. - MM</span>
markmcjr

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x