Please Help I Added My Report.txt

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Postby ronsodos » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:08 am

I really need help. I cannot figure the commands to create routes for the Internet to work. All my pings work. I can ping both sides of the router from my workstations. I can ping the inside address of my dsl router from inside (through the freesco router). I think it is that no gateways are set up. But I am new at this and treally need it working.
ronsodos

Postby dingetje » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:51 pm

There was no need to start a new thread, you could have attached your report to the first thread you've started. Oh well...

I've noticed you used static IP setup, but its probably a LOT easier to have your modem give out an address to your FREESCO via DHCP. For that you need to enable the DHCP client on the 'internet' device of FREESCO.

Change these:

SDHCP=y    #DHCP client
DHCPDNS=y  #DNS via DHCP

That way the gateway and DNS will also be set correctly, because you've forgotten to set those:

# [ethernet/leased/printer/ras router]
GATEWAY=  #Gateway
DNSDDR=  #Primary DNS
DNSDDR1=  #Second
DNSDDR2=  #Third
DNSDDR3=  #Fourth

BTW that is the reason you can ping, but cannot go further.

Also it is highly recommended to enable the DHCP server on FREESCO:
NDHCP=y  #DHCP server

and then you'll need to provide a DHCP range for your LAN:
IPRANGE1="192.168.1.10 192.168.1.20" #DHCP server IP range

HTH
GreetZ
http://dingetje.homeip.net

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby ronsodos » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:58 pm

I don't want DHCP at all. I access my individual PC's from outside by using port translation to each individual PC. It is way easier by being static. I knew I didn't have gateways set up, but i couldn't figure out what the commands are.

Question. The gateway should be the IP address of the NIC in the Freesco router on the DSL side of the Router, correct?

Also do I run the GATEWAY= command at the prompt itself or do i have to be in a certain part of the file structure?
ronsodos

Postby dilberts_left_nut » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:08 pm

Question. The gateway should be the IP address of the NIC in the Freesco router on the DSL side of the Router, correct?

For your client machines, the gateway should be the IP address of the LAN NIC of your freesco box.

In freesco, the gateway address should be the IP address of the LAN NIC of your DSL router.

Also do I run the GATEWAY= command at the prompt itself or do i have to be in a certain part of the file structure?

The settings above are in the system.cfg file, however it is MUCH easier to type "setup" and follow the 'wizard' (the wonderful wizard... :)) to get you set up correctly.
dilberts_left_nut

Postby Lightning » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:32 pm

The easiest way to configure anything is using the setup. For the settings you want to configure use

setup->advanced settings->local network->l "a lower case L"

As for static IP addresses, it is a usual mis conception that static IP addresses are easier for a small network configuration. In reality it is always easier and better to enable the DHCP server and set a small range of dynamic IP addresses that is outside the range of the static IPs you want to use and then configure the static IPs as static DHCP leases instead. This does several things in your favor, the first of which is that any machine you plug into your network will just work without any configuration and it secondly forces all of the clients to be configured correctly without the need for any manual settings. It also allows you to change anything on your network configuration directly from FREESCO whether that machine is on or not and it allows you to control every machine on the network as well. The static DHCP lease setup only takes a few minutes to do, you just need to remember that static DHCP leases MUST be outside the range of dynamic DHCP leases. So if you set a range of leases from 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.20 then static leases would be from outside of those IP addresses.

The benefit of doing this also is that those computer names will be addressable from within your LAN and you will be able to use host names rather than just IP addresses.

To enable or disable servers run

setup->Configure servers
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby dingetje » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:39 am

Not correct. The gateway address must be the IP address that is assigned to you by your ISP. Most of the times you don't get that information though, because most ISP's assign that address, yes, you've guessed it, via DHCP...

The gateway address on your clients should be set to the LAN address of your FREESCO if you insist on using static IP settings. As Lightning stated, there is really no reason to do so. Its much much easier to use DHCP with static leases (based on MAC address of the clients).
GreetZ
http://dingetje.homeip.net

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby Lightning » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:38 am

Because you have configured a static IP on FREESCO and you are not using the DHCP client it is impossible to tell what exactly your gateway should be set to. However because you are using a private subnet I can only conclude that your modem is also doing NAT and IF that is the case then the IP address of the modem that is in the 10.0.0.0 subnet range would be the gateway IP you would assign in FREESCO.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby CDFiXER » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:21 am

Can you clarify this:

I access my individual PC's from outside by using port translation to each individual PC.

Also, you can use DHCP and assign an exact IP to an exact machine. Simply put the MAC address of the machine and the IP# you want in the static DHCP file. There are instructions in the file on how to set it up, plus the search function of the forums can help as well.
Catapultam habeo.
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby ronsodos » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:32 pm

I want to thank you guys for your help. I did set up the Freesco router for DHCP at least on the side from the DSL router and i have Internet connectivity now. You guys are the best.

I need a spot more help with network translation. I need to be able to VNC into my PC at home and I tried the syntax with the examples they give in the NAT server. It doesn't seem to be working.

I tried

tcp,5900,7900,192.168.1.2
and the reverse
tcp,7900,5900,192.168.1.2

I cannot get in at all.

In my older version of freesco i used to have
t,7900,192.168.1.2/5900 it used to work fine.

Thanx for your help in advance

Ron S
ronsodos

Postby Lightning » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:50 pm

The problem is most likely caused because you are going to have to configure port forwarding in your modem as well. This is caused because rather than just FREESCO connecting directly to the Internet and facing the world. You modem is doing NAT and it is blocking inbound traffic as well.

The best solution is to disable the NAT and make the modem just be a modem and then reconfigure FREESCO to make your ISP connection. But of course the easiest way is just to add port forwarding into both systems.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby ronsodos » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:02 pm

Well Lightning you were right. In fact i think my Freesco router was configured correctly all along. The DSL router was really screwed up. It was actiually failing on the etherent side of the connection. I had to replace it and all is well. Thanx for all your advice and info.

Ron Sodos
ronsodos

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x