resetting username and password

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

resetting username and password

Postby aurgathor » Thu May 04, 2017 8:21 pm

What is the least destructive way to reset the username and the password on a 0.4.5 router?

A long time ago I set up a 0.4.5 box, but I never actually ended up using it because I had an older one that worked just fine. Today, a storm related power fluctuation knocked out my Freesco box that has been online for over a year, and due to a worn out floppy drive and/or floppy, it is not possible to hoot any more in the current state. I swapped the routers, and the new box appears to be working fine; however, I'm unable to log in. :x
I know, I know, I should've put a yellow sticky on it, but it's too late for that.

The install is on a hard disk, and the system dual boots Win 98SE and Freesco. I'm thinking about copying out the config files from the current install, reinstall with new username/password, and then replace the relevant config files.

TIA
aurgathor

Re: resetting username and password

Postby Lightning » Mon May 29, 2017 8:43 pm

All you need to do is to boot from a floppy or the with 98 system and copy a new version with a known password of the "c:\router\etc\passwd" file onto the system. There are no other password files except for the "htpasswd" file for the web interface.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Re: resetting username and password

Postby aurgathor » Tue May 30, 2017 10:57 pm

Thanks, it worked.
aurgathor

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x