trying to get a pcmcia card to work ...

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

trying to get a pcmcia card to work ...

Postby jason.b.c » Sat May 26, 2012 3:19 am

freesco 4.4

on a laptop (busted screen so perfect for this job)

i'm trying to use one of these as the ethernet port... http://www.recycledgoods.com/products/Xircom-RE-100-RealPort-Ethernet-10-100-PCMCIA-Card.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Xircom_Realport_PCMCIA_and_CardBus_notch.jpg

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-003258.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=xircom+pcmcia+card&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=PID&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1708&bih=740&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&ei=epDAT9HyLIfD2QWhuIx7&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=1&ved=0CA8Q_AUoAA

so i guess since freesco is unable (as far as i can tell) to connect to the internet and i'm unable to connect to the freesco laptop , that ethernet card isn't working ....

could someone please oh please compile the required module/driver and throw a little help my way??? :lol:
jason.b.c

Re: trying to get a pcmcia card to work ...

Postby Lightning » Sun May 27, 2012 12:43 am

I need some detailed information on this card included in a report.txt
Here is how to get the information. At a command prompt with the card installed type this
Code: Select all
report "cat /proc/pci"
Attach the report.txt and I will see what can be done to get the card working.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby jason.b.c » Sun May 27, 2012 3:49 am

Lightning wrote:I need some detailed information on this card included in a report.txt
Here is how to get the information. At a command prompt with the card installed type this
report "cat /proc/pci"
Attach the report.txt and I will see what can be done to get the card working.

i have no idea how to do that , sorry for my dumbness lol

how do i get to a command prompt/terminal to do that????
jason.b.c

Postby Lightning » Sun May 27, 2012 7:32 pm

how do i get to a command prompt/terminal to do that????

As soon as you login to the system, just type that line exactly as shown. Of course this assumes that you are booting in "normal" mode and NOT in "setup" mode. Even if the laptop screen is broken you should be able to connect an external monitor to it to see the screen.

I am also assuming that you are running from the hard drive and you will need to copy the report.txt to a floppy to attach it here. The commands to do that are
a:
cp /boot/report.txt /mnt/fd/
a:
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby jason.b.c » Mon May 28, 2012 12:49 am

Lightning wrote:
I am also assuming that you are running from the hard drive and you will need to copy the report.txt to a floppy to attach it here. The commands to do that are
a:
cp /boot/report.txt /mnt/fd/
a:

no , i'm running it so far straight from the floppy.... , but i'll try that...
jason.b.c

Postby jason.b.c » Mon May 28, 2012 12:49 am

oh and yeah , i hooked up a monitor ... :lol:
jason.b.c

Postby Lightning » Mon May 28, 2012 6:05 pm

A hard drive install is required to put the pcmcia package into the system. This package is required for ALL pcmcia network cards. What you have to do is to manually download the pcmcia non-package from http://www.freescosoft.com . Open the zip file and extract the "pcmcia.pkg" file from the zip and copy that file to a floppy blank disk. Then put that disk in your FREESCO box running from the hard drive and use these commands

a:
pkg -i /mnt/fd/pcmcia.pkg
a:
reboot

If the card is supported it will start working as soon as it reboots. If it is not supported then the above commands will be required to give me the information so I can try and get it working. But the Xircom RE-100 should be supported in the package.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby jason.b.c » Mon May 28, 2012 11:35 pm

Lightning wrote:A hard drive install is required to put the pcmcia package into the system. This package is required for ALL pcmcia network cards. What you have to do is to manually download the pcmcia non-package from http://www.freescosoft.com . Open the zip file and extract the "pcmcia.pkg" file from the zip and copy that file to a floppy blank disk. Then put that disk in your FREESCO box running from the hard drive and use these commands

a:
pkg -i /mnt/fd/pcmcia.pkg
a:
reboot

If the card is supported it will start working as soon as it reboots. If it is not supported then the above commands will be required to give me the information so I can try and get it working. But the Xircom RE-100 should be supported in the package.

ok , a bit of a snag...

i searched for that package but am unable to find it....

also , um what if the machine doesn't have a hard drive?? yet .. :roll: :lol: is anything at all possible???
jason.b.c

Postby Lightning » Tue May 29, 2012 10:41 pm

As stated it is a "non-package" to start with and then you extract the package file from it. The reason it was required to do it that way was to maintain the licensing and provide a package that was easily downloadable. On any FREESCOsoft site the URL is the same other than the domain name. To my FREESCOsoft mirror site is http://freescosoft.freesco.net/0.4.x/no ... htning.pkg

what if the machine doesn't have a hard drive?? yet .. :roll: :lol: is anything at all possible???

That is a very subjective question. If you are asking if I could make that card work on a floppy, the answer is yes. But for most everyone else it would be difficult without all of the tools to do it. The problem is that the floppy does not have enough room for the full package. So only some of the package could be installed. Such as the networking portion and the necessary drivers. But that is only a maybe as if it would even fit. So the only certain way it would fit is if it were put directly into the ramdisk and just the necessary portions used and most likely some of the unused binaries in the system removed to make the necessary space.

I will send a PM
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x