Crackin Freesco Password

Support section for FREESCO v0.2.7 and less

Postby nickie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 am

Is there anyway I could crack my freesco box (v0.2.7) password. I forgot what was it. The box was abandon years since I lost my unlimited connection. I am gonna get the connection back soon but I hate :angry: to build the box from the scratch again. Thank you for your support.
nickie

Postby effo » Thu May 01, 2008 4:33 pm

I haven't tried this, but I think it should work.

If it is a floppy install:
1. create a new 027 floppy and configure it. Assign root a password you can remember :)
2. insert the new floppy in one of your other machines
3. copy the password file (guess it is /etc/passwd) to your other machine
4. insert your original floppy in the other machine
5. copy the password file to the original floppy
6. boot FREESCO from the old floppy, now the new password should be valid

If it is a HD install
1. create a new 027 floppy and configure it. Assign root a password you can remember :)
2. Boot the FREESCO machine from the floppy
3. After booting, mount the HD. I am not sure about exact mount points, but something like
$ mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /mnt/hd
should work
4. Look up the passwd file on the HD, maybe in /mnt/hd/router/etc ?
5. Owerwrite the old passwd file with the file on your floppy.
6. Unmount the HD:
$ umount /mnt/hd
7. Reboot your FREESCO, remove the floppy and let the box boot from the HD. Now the new password should be valid.

As said earlier, this is untested so you may need some additional tweaks. But I really - REALLY - think you should ditch the old install and make a fresh install of 038
This is Linux country. On a silent night you can hear Windows reboot.
effo

Postby Lightning » Thu May 01, 2008 6:34 pm

Unless this old 027 machine has had EXTENSIVE manual patches then you have a system that has some vulnerabilities built into it. You really would be much better off starting with a new 03x floppy and starting from scratch.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby nickie » Thu May 01, 2008 9:00 pm

I think you are right. I would be much better start all over again with the latest version of freesco and I believe it will helps refresh my memory of everything I have already forgotten. But I'll try effo's untested suggestion/instruction before I start, Thanks.
I havent browse around yet due to my limited connection. My old 027 which contain web server, mail server, proxy server/squid etc.etc.. on 486, it took more than 600 Mb of hard drive space (this breaks my heart) runs like a snail. I replaced it with pentium class mechine and it runs fast. One question: What is the minimum hardware requirement to build 038 ?. I hope I can use 3Com 3C905B-TX PnP PCI network card. Thanks.
nickie

Postby Lightning » Fri May 02, 2008 12:31 am

Minimum hardware is a 486 and 16MB of ram. As for the network card, that is one of the good ones, although you will have to download the modules-038.zip and install the driver for it.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.2.7 and less