edit in telnet / telnet client?

If you need some help, this should be the first place to look.

Postby dingetje » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:52 am

Problem:
I tried to run setup via telnet, and while setup ran OK, editing files turned out to be a real challenge, to say the least. 

Is there any editor or telnet program I should use? The telnet program was just telnet from a W2K DOS box; the editor on the freesco box was either "edit", or the default editor from setup (I think also edit ).

Answer:
Yes, it is a problem with the default Windows telnet clients. My best suggestion is to use "PuTTy". A search of the web will find it. To my knowledge it is the best telnet/ssh client around and it is free and completely non intrusive on any system. It can be configured so that all of the F keys work as well as all key strokes. But if you want just the quick and dirty method just use (ESC) and then a number. This will emulate the F keys. (ESC) and 0 is the same as F10 which is the exit and save key in the default editor. Just a note, those are seperate key strokes.

Reply:
thnx, putty seems to work fine 
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby Howler » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:42 am

I myself have used others, never tried putty. I am currently using "SecureCRT" which runs very well.

We are not endorsing, or pushing "Putty" or any of the others, but they are better than any "built into windows" version of the telnet client.

I guess the main thing here is not to use the built-in client but use a 3rd party product.

Howler
The first, the original and still the main FREESCOsoft site http://www.freescosoft.com/
The best place for FREESCO packages and related files.
Created and maintained by me (Howler), and mirrored by many (well, ok mirrored by some).
Howler
Advanced Member

Return to FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions