Cannot access my web page exterally

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x 3rd Party Packages

Cannot access my web page exterally

Postby pollo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:10 pm

Hello,
I can access my web page internally but not externally. I have changed public HTTP to Y (yes). What else should I look for? Any ideas?

Polo
pollo

Re: Cannot access my web page exterally

Postby Lightning » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:51 pm

If the web server is set in "y" mode and saved the new configuration. Then you have either restarted the firewall or rebooted the router you should have external access to the web server. However sometimes ISP's will block specific ports to prevent you from running a web server. If that is the case then change the port on your web server to something like 1080 and try the test again externally using
Code: Select all
http://your-url:1080/
If that works then you can use something like a dynamic DNS redirect from the standard port 80 to port 1080 on your site and still get it working without the manual port setting. Also if you are running the Apache web server you can just change it to listen to both port 80 and 1080. If this is the built in web server you can add a special firewall rule to get the changed port 1080 to also listen to port 80. Just let us know the results of your test and your configuration to work out the details.

Another problem that sometimes happens is that your ISP does not give out public IP addresses to there clients. If that happens then there are no work a rounds other than to contact your ISP and get a public IP or at least a port redirected for your server.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby pollo » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:08 pm

Lightning.

apache_1.3.27a_dingetje

I am running the above apache version and I remember one script with apache which says "in order to get to internet, comment out the firewall within the script something to that nature” I just forgotten which script it was. I will try your suggestions,

Thanks

pollo
pollo

Postby dingetje » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:14 am

The apache package will honor the firewall settings as set in your FREESCO setup. So if the web server is set to 'y' (public) then no firewall rule needs to be edited for the web server alone.
I think the message you've seen is:

Default the SSL and MP3 server are blocked from the internet. If you want
these to be worldwide accessible you'll need to comment out the firewall
rules in /pkg/rc/rc_apache.

Code: Select all
        firewall) # default block HTTPS and MP3 server from internet
                ipfwadm -I -a $Pd -P tcp -W $INET -D 0.0.0.0/0 443 $LOG
                ipfwadm -I -a $Pd -P tcp -W $INET -D 0.0.0.0/0 8000 $LOG

Most people won't need both the SSL (for secure HTTPS i.e. a web shop) and MP3 server (possible security breach). How to disable them is described in the forum on my web site in the announcement of the Apache package and leads to a smaller memory footprint.
GreetZ
http://dingetje.homeip.net

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Return to 3rd Party Package Support for FREESCO v0.3.x