I cannot Access Webserver by domain name

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x 3rd Party Packages

I cannot Access Webserver by domain name

Postby mondo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:31 am

Hello

I set my domain on dns.cfg file as " 192.168.0.X TAB www.winam.homeip.net TAB winam.homeip.net" but I cannot aaccess the page with domain name although I do access the page by its ip address. The winam is registered domain on dyndns. What am doing wrong here? Is dns.cfg the right file to setup domain name ?

mon
mondo

Re: I cannot Access Webserver by domain name

Postby Lightning » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:18 pm

Yes the dns.cfg is the right file, but if you already have the dyndns client configured for the domain then you should have just answer "y" when it asks to resolve the name locally. So I recommend going into the setup and going through the section for the servers where the dyndns client is located. However that configuration will not add the sub domains like www to the list so it will still need to be added manually.
Also if what you have done was done through the setup and the DNS server was restarted manually with "rc_dns restart". Then I would double check your client configuration to ensure that they are using the correct server which is FREESCO's internal IP address. This is a very common mistake on the client configuration if they or not set to use DHCP.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby mondo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:42 pm

[root@Freesco] rc_dns restart
ssssss#: No such file or directory
Stopping dnsmasq.... Done
!** WARNING insecure **!
Starting DNS ....... Done

I went through the dyndns client setup and on the restart of dns "rc_dns restart" and got the above results where "ssssss#: " is my password of the dyndns where I registered my domain. I setup manually the dns.cfg file with freesco ip address as shown on my file. Any ideas why I cannnot still access the server?

Thanks

mondo
mondo

Postby dingetje » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:33 am

That is not suppose to happen, so I'm guessing you've made a syntax error in your dyndns config.
GreetZ
http://dingetje.homeip.net

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby Lightning » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:04 pm

!** WARNING insecure **!
Do NOT run the DNS server in "y" mode unless it is already behind another firewall and the outside network is already secure to some extent. Normally you should ONLY run the DNS server in either "s" or "e" mode.
But as Dingetje stated you should never get any error messages and the current output of your password means there is something terribly wrong in the configuration which MUST be fixed or nothing is going to work right.

If this is a machine that you plan on tinkering with I strongly recommend installing the "mc" package to assist with editing files and such versus just using the built in editor.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby mondo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:05 pm

Lightning/dingetje

Initializing interface eth1
NAT and firewalling is enabled
Starting SSH server
sssss# No such file or directory
Starting Control HTTP server

The error is also shown when the system is rebooting as shown above after enabling the NAT and firewalling and staring the SSH server. I have tried everything I am aware of, but with no success. I am not familiar with mcand will. Where do I copy /etc/dyndns.cfg to be permanent after update.

Thanks

mondo
mondo

Postby Lightning » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:30 pm

if you edit the /etc/dyndns.cfg file manually you have to copy it to /boot/etc/ to be permanent.
As for your current problem there is a miss configuration somewhere and you are going to have to paste a report.txt here for us to figure out what it is. This section of the forum currently does not allow attachments. So pasting it will be fine.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby mondo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:22 pm

Lightning .

Here it is. Please delete after you finish with it so that it does not take much space.

FREESCO v0.3.8 System Report.
Generated - Tue Aug 4 20:08:47 2009

Report deleted

Thanks

mondo
mondo

Postby Lightning » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:02 pm

[Ethernet hardware]
IO0=0x300
IRQ0=11
IO1=0x320
IRQ1=10
For your 3c905 pci network cards these settings should all be set to zero.
Past that I don't see any configuration problems that should be causing the error. So the error must be coming from one of the secondary configuration files. Although I am not sure which one. But I guess a good starting point would be posting the /etc/dyndns.cfg file. Just XXXXXX out the password from it.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby mondo » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:09 am

Lightning/dingetje

Thanks a lot. The problem occured when I changed the dyndns from my domain name and forgot to copy the /etc/dyndns.cfg to /boot/etc/. Please you can delete the report file.

Thanks

mondo
mondo

Return to 3rd Party Package Support for FREESCO v0.3.x