Hosts Package Oddity ...

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x 3rd Party Packages

Postby bob selby » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:40 am

I saw some very strange behaviour from my installation of the "hosts" package last night. It did an auto update at about 9pm but then I noticed that I suddenly had VERY limited conectivity - I couldnt even get to Google.

A quick look at the hosts file didnt reveal anything obvious but I was getting my arse chewed by my wife and daughter about needing the net to finish some work so I just disabled the package and forced an update then re-enabled the package and it all sprung into life.

I'm guessing that the hosts file got corrupted in some way.

Any ideas/comments/suggestions ??

TIA Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:41 pm

Any ideas/comments/suggestions ??

In your situation which I have been in before I would strongly suggest disabling the auto update which is in the "crond" configuration and just do updates manually so that you can watch it happen. Most likely the file was corrupted because something else tried to access the file while it was being written and caused the DNS server to basically crash. The other option which I used on my own system for a while was to update at about 4AM on Sunday to ensure nothing is accessing the files.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby bob selby » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:46 pm

OK - It's the first time its happened - I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.

I prefer the auto-update - but if its going to cause problems then I'll have to do it manually as you suggest.

Thx
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Return to 3rd Party Package Support for FREESCO v0.3.x