Special Characters In 0.3.8

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x 3rd Party Packages

Postby gateway1124 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:29 am

Please help, i bought new cpu 1gb memory, 80gb drives, core2dou processor.. i install freesco 0.3.8, it was sucessfully installed but when i reboot the my cpu SPECIAL CHARACTERS (ASCII) APPEAR.. i cant understand..

I assume that it was 0.3.8 problem, i change to version 0.3.7 message appear "no usuable drive/partition found"... it really puzzle my mind. its already 3 days on installing a perfect freesco but right now still unsolve.....

I used windows 98 startup disk in fdisk and reformating my 80gb disk, its succefully done, but why it will be detected...

please help me..

thank you so much
rESpECT YOURSelf And Maximize YouR PotentiaL
gateway1124

Postby Lightning » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:45 am

There are a number of things that could be causing this problem. However the first thing that I would do/try is to put the floppy back into the system and then boot and go into the advanced package menu setup and install the official ext2 package. Then fdisk and reformat the hard drive as ext2 instead of as FAT. You will end up with a MUCH better file system and FREESCO v0.3.8 now has the ability to maintain an ext2 hard drive without the need for other aplications.

Hopefully this will resolve the problem. But be aware that the new hardware you are running is about a 10 times more than what is needed or maybe even used and the 2.0.x kernel was never designed with it in mind.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby gateway1124 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:44 am

thank you so much sir lewis, i will try this in my cpu.. by the way sir lewis are referring sata drive or ide. does ext2 compatible in sata drive? i hope sir lewis....
gateway1124

Postby Lightning » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:31 pm

I think if you are using a SATA drive you will be required to run a third party kernel that has "triton" enabled on the kernel. It would also be to your advantage to use a kernel made for a 686.
So go to <a href='http://lewys-spot.dyndns.org/kernels/' target='_blank'>http://lewys-spot.dyndns.org/kernels/</a> and get a 038 kernel with these options and put it on the floppy before you try to use FAT or ext2.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby gateway1124 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:41 pm

sir where do i put the file (kernel-038) because when i copy in my floppy disk (freesco disk) insuffecient disk space. is it posble to be copied in separate floppy? in addition i can't find triton third party kernel. is kernel-038 is enough without installing the triton enable.. or the kernel-038 is already triton enable... thanks a lot
gateway1124

Postby Lightning » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:22 am

You will find a file on the floppy a:\kernel . Just rename the new kernel to that name and replace it.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby gateway1124 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:22 pm

sir when I press "13", package menu, in installing ext2 <a href='http://www.freesco.org' target='_blank'>http://www.freesco.org</a> the response is "Installing.................. ext2 0.3.8" nothing follows it takes 30 minutes but nothing happen..

i configure my floppy disk since my sata is still unwriteable.. i already rename the kernel 0.3.8 to kernel and reboot my flopy.
gateway1124

Postby Lightning » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:02 pm

To install the ext2 package the floppy MUST be fully functional AND connected to the Internet. Otherwise you will end up just watching it do nothing forever.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby gateway1124 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:18 pm

yap sir, i installed land card to my floppy then when I ping yahoo.com its reply therefore my box is internet connected. Is it possible that i only configure my network in my floppy by entering setup and it will connect to the internet? Becuase in my mind how freesco download if only config to my freesco floppy...
gateway1124

Postby Lightning » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:45 pm

Yes, you MUST boot in normal mode and the manually type "setup" after logging in before it is actually online and will work.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby gateway1124 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:26 am

In my SATA Drive, I already rename the kernel (triton enable) but when I install the floppy disk to my SATA HD (mv2hd command) the content/config of my freesco floppy was not written to my SATA Drive. My HD is still empty. huhuuuh..

Please help, eventhough this happen to me but i will not surrender... i will try until I install successfully..

thank you sir i hope i could successfully installed my new box..

I lOVE FREESCO
gateway1124

Postby Lightning » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:49 pm

My questions here are:

Did you successfully install the ext2 package and run it WITHOUT rebooting ?
Did you run the ext2 package setup ? "rc_ext2 setup"
Was the SATA drive recognized by the cfdisk ?
Did you use the "copy FREESCO to the hard drive" function in the ext2 package ?
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby gateway1124 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:25 pm

I already done sir... HOWEVER when I starting the process of cfdisk "FATAL ERROR" my SATA DRIVE is not recognize.. where is the problem.. is it in my Sata? please help

thank you sir
gateway1124

Postby Lightning » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:50 pm

HOWEVER when I starting the process of cfdisk "FATAL ERROR"

Unfortunately if you are already running the Triton kernel AND you are getting this message the hard drive is NOT going to work.

However all hopes are not necessarily completely lost. You can post in the FREESCO feature request section of the forum and state that you would like support for your SATA drive added into the kernel. Justdave has modified the kernel source a time or two and if you can provide the necessary information he may have time to look into it and create a kernel version that will support your drive.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby gateway1124 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:57 am

Thank you sir, i have my another sata drive with the same specs i will try this first before i ask JUSTDAVE, if will work, thus my previous sata is having a problem, but if my other sata will not work again thats the time I will ask sir JUSTDAVE..

thanks a lot sir LEwis...
gateway1124

Return to 3rd Party Package Support for FREESCO v0.3.x