Hosts Package (aka Adblocker) Oddity ...

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x 3rd Party Packages

Postby bob selby » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:27 am

Something that I have noticed with this package ... it works very well with Firefox as long as the proxy settings are left as "Automatic" but if I set a specific proxy (to get around a site that has banned my normal proxy IP rather than a specific end user IP address) then it happily passes ALL URLs irrespective of if they are in the HOSTS file or not.

This is not a serious problem for me because I only use a specific proxy on rare occasions - but it seems a bit odd.

I guess it may be because of the url caching so I guess a restart might fix it - but I'd like to understand what is going on out of curiosity.

Any ideas ??
TIA
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:10 pm

I have had the same behavior happen when I had squid running on my router. What happens is that because the IP address is a unresolvable other than to FREESCO and because the IP address does not exist. It falls into a special category on the proxy server that means "resolve this IP/URL to yourself" and the browser happily accepts any response that it gets from the proxy server.
Unfortunately the options to get around this are pretty limited. Probably the easiest and simplest is to go into the browser and in it's advanced proxy settings add an exclusion for "0.0.0.0", so that it does not send requests for that IP address to the proxy server. But if that isn't possible then you could try changing the default of 0.0.0.0 in the rc_hosts script to 127.0.0.1 and see what happens.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby bob selby » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:08 pm

So ... its down to the proxy implementation then ???

OK thanks :-)
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby bob selby » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:42 pm

Firefox has a "No Proxy For:" field that did have "localhost, 127.0.0.1" in it and I changed this to "localhost, 127.0.0.1, 0.0.0.0" as suggested.

Sadly it made no difference :-(

I also tried changing 0.0.0.0 to 127.0.0.1 as suggested in the hosts script and then doing an update and it made no difference ( I checked the content of the hosts file - and it was as expected).

I'll try another proxy tomorrow and I'll post the results.

Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:53 am

There are other options such as changing the IP address to the FREESCO's web server. That way when that IP is asked for the web server will respond usually with page not found. And you can make a custom err404.html page and put it in the /www/errors directory so that it says what ever you want it to say. But I am not sure how that will react with a proxy server either unless you can exclude the IP address.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby bob selby » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:33 am

OK Thanks - I'll give that a try when I have time.
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby bob selby » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:14 pm

Hmmm ... I did what you suggested but with firefox anyway it still displayed the ads when I used the ip address of my router - the exclusion of the ip address didnt seem to make any difference.

I see an identical problem on IE6.

However, as I said its not an important issue for me so I'll leave it there.

Thanks
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Return to 3rd Party Package Support for FREESCO v0.3.x