Wierd Uploads

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x 3rd Party Packages

Postby cae2100 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:12 pm

hello, this may be a stupid question, but I have dialup and when I run a bandwidth test on my connection, the upload always seem to be around double of what the downloads are for some reason. Ive tried like 4 or 5 different bandwidth tests and they all show the same thing. I was using 032, 036, and 038 when I ran the tests. Downloads are fine, usually higher than most connections too
I usually get 5.7KB/s download and 12-13KB/s upload
just wondering, thanks
cae2100

Postby Lightning » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:12 pm

I usually get 5.7KB/s download and 12-13KB/s upload

Hmmm, my first and second thoughts are that the test is wrong on the uploads. Is this testing site specifically designed for dialup connections ?
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby CDFiXER » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:04 pm

Another thing comes to mind but that upload figure is too high for even this:

Are you in a country that allows the full 56k speeds?

Th USA does not and probably never will.

If you are then, IIRC, some 56k modems can negotiate different up and down stream speeds with the system on the other end. Weird, but I noticed it in the specifications for the 56k 'standard'. If you are outside the USA, your modem may not only be capable of the higher speed but the full 56k implmentation.
Catapultam habeo.
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby cae2100 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:28 pm

I dont know if they're designed for dialup but here is the list that Ive tried so far and they all say the same, speakeasy, cnet, macafee, and bandwith.com's tests, hope that helps, and yes I do live in the US
we use a really low class internet service called localnet, and I dont know what they use there but for some reason they dont seem to limit thier stuff, I was hitting around 30KB/s download the one night somehow, but my modem died after that :P
hope I can figure out why it goes berserk like that too

hope to hear from you soon
cae2100

Postby Lightning » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:34 pm

There really is no question here on whether the test results are wrong or not. Because that upload speed is not possible through a standard dialup connection. The download speed you are getting seems fine for a VERY good dialup connection though.
So my conclusion is that all of those test sites use the same method or aplication to determine up and down speed which is most likely setup for broadband accuracy.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby cae2100 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:01 pm

I took a screenshot from speakeasy to show you what I mean, my connection is running kinda slow right now so its not the normal numbers, but you get the point
cae2100

Postby CDFiXER » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:13 pm

...and my questions still remain but maybe partially invalid. :rolleyes:

Those rates might be possible if you have a modem and ISP that are using the full capabilities of the 56k standard. In the USA both the ISP and customer modem are not supposed to be able to use the full upload and download speeds that 56k hardware is capable of. Maybe you have a modem that has firmware for another country in it, but that still does not explain the ISP end. Hmm. ISP caching software in use? Doubt that a speed test could be cached but still....

That is actually a tiny bit slower download speed than what I get 2 blocks from the CO and a USR V.Everything modem flashed with, uhm, shall we say unofficial firmware ;)

I just ran the bandwidth.com speet test and my connection is running @ 33kbps download and @ 21 kbps upload. Pretty close to 'normal' speeds for me, although downloads here from most 'large' servers usually run @ 4.5 KB/s for me.

Do not forget that KB/s and kbps are very different measures.
Catapultam habeo.
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Return to 3rd Party Package Support for FREESCO v0.3.x