please help beginner configuring 0.3.2

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x

please help beginner configuring 0.3.2

Postby online99 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:37 pm

The computer I'm trying to set up for Freesco is a 10 year old Dell Inspiron 5000. It has an internal lucent modem on com3. I use a Realtek pcmcia card for an ethernet port. I took the driver file out of the modules folder, but I don't know what to do with it.

I have the floppy booting, but I don't have the settings right. Freesco says no network card found at all. Check your settings.

I'll provide whatever information I can if someone can explain to me where to get it from.

Thank you for your patience.
online99

Re: please help beginner configuring 0.3.2

Postby Lightning » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:51 pm

It has an internal lucent modem on com3. I use a Realtek pcmcia card for an ethernet port.
I am doubtful that the modem is a hardware modem and WinModems do NOT work with FREESCO. Secondly PCMCIA network cards are NOT supported at all with the drivers that come with FREESCO. You must install the pcmcia package available for the 03x series and the 04x series. The biggest issue that you have is the modem not being a hardware modem and probably not working at all. Which means that you are sort of stuck with two options. First connect an external modem which they are all hardware based modems or using something like VirtualBox or VMware in a Windows or Linux OS that does support the hardware to run the system so the modem will be supported in the virtual environment hopefully.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby online99 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:11 pm

Would a winmodem be branded lucent? I tested the modem directly into the replay, and I got the string that indicated that the line had enough power to talk to the replay. I didn't think that was possible with a winmodem.

But I'm pretty ignorant about this, so I'm ready to be corrected.
online99

Postby online99 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:18 pm

BTW, the pcmcia ethernet port is the realtek 8139 that you said was part of the kernel.
online99

Postby Lightning » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:19 pm

But I'm pretty ignorant about this, so I'm ready to be corrected
I have been wrong on many occasions and hopefully this is one of those. You will find out very quickly whether FREESCO recognizes your modem of not.
You will need to download and install the PCMCIA package regardless before the network card will be found. Because even though the driver is included it is not included as a PCMCIA device which is somewhat different.

Regardless I would try my PM'ed suggestion and see what works and what does not work before you go any further.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby online99 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:13 pm

Here's a really dumb question. When a message stays in the outbox instead of going to the sent box, does that mean it didn't send?
online99

Postby Lightning » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:23 pm

When a message stays in the outbox instead of going to the sent box, does that mean it didn't send?
It depends on what outbox you are talking about. for a standard email client the answer is yes, it did not get sent. If you are talking about a PM on a forum like this one it just means that it has not been picked up and read by the recipient.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby online99 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:56 am

Interesting. I never noticed that in other forums. Thanks for the heads up, and sorry for the duplicates.
online99

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.3.x