Backup /www directory on USB

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x

Backup /www directory on USB

Postby lotus123r5 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:30 am

Hello Freesco support,

Again i need some help to make a full backup of my /www directory on USB stick, directly from my Freesco 0.38 via telnet.

i think it would be the following, plse can someone check and tell me if it's ok, before i mess up the system..... :-(
1. i logon with root on the system via telnet
2. i put the usb (FAT 32) stick in the system
3. use the command: # fdisk -l to find out what the usb stick is called... (has to be something like this: /dev/sdb1)..
4. I have to creat a new directory in /mnt so i can mount the drive onto the filesystem?... kind of: # mkdir /media/usb
5. i have to mount the usb drive (something like this) : # mount /dev/sdb1 /media/usb
6. then i use the copy command: # rsync -rv /www /media/usb/ or # rsync -avh /www /media/usb/ (dont know wich command is better..?)
7. when done i use the command # umount /media/usb

above information i create with the help of the following site: http://askubuntu.com/questions/37767/ho ... flash-driv
are these steps OK to create my /www backup, or maybe there is a more easy way to create a backup on usb stick via telnet.
Thx! again and best regards, Maikel
lotus123r5

Re: Backup /www directory on USB

Postby Lightning » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:18 pm

Other than BIOS boot support, there is absolutely no support for any USB device in FREESCO.

My best recommendation on how to backup the system would be to install the "mc" package and use it to tar and compress the /mnt/router/www directory into a single file and then either FTP it to another machine or use the web server to download the file. The second option would be to put another drive in the system and use it as a backup.

With regards to backups and such with old drives, personally I use the 045 and raid1 with two drives so that I always have a complete backup of the entire system when/if one drives dies. Which has happened to me several times over the years.

Another option would be to add another drive and use any of the many different cloning tools to make a complete backup.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby lotus123r5 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:53 pm

Thx again for the support Lewis!
"personally I use the 045 and raid1 with two drives so that I always have a complete backup of the entire system when/if one drives dies."

Offcourse i prefer this option, because Freesco is the "hart" of my home system, and i have many port forwardings and static ip-adresses configured on the system.
It would be a disaster if my harddrive dies or stop working...., cause my whole network would be down and all www files need to be configured again.
First thing i will do is upgrade to 045 and come back with this issue, if it is not that hard to configure the raid1 method...
I hope you or someone else on this forum can help me out to manage the raid1 configuration.
First i will make Freesco045 works with 1 harddrive (for me more easy i think)? or better put directly 2 harddrives inside the computer? or it wont matter if i put directly one or 2 harddisks in the new system... The harddisks have to be the same harddisks qua storage, say both 80GB...
When 045 is working, will it be easy to configure the configure all, or do i need lots of shell programming instructions to make it work? And when 1 harddisk fails, the other harddisk automatically manage the system, or do you have to upgrade the working harddisk as "master" disk....
For sure, you understand that i'am not the level you are, but hope you can help me, to manage all.....
Thx for all your time, your patience and support you allway give to me! i really apreciate!
First i will do (will be in december), is upgrade to 045 and hope from there, you can help me out to manage the complete backup of the system.
Thx! again!!!

ps: iam allways so satisfied and greatfull with Freesco 038, it is working great, secure, fast, reliable, robuust, and small .. so changing a great system version is allways a little bit scarry... motto is "never change a winning team", but i also, allways read your signature: "If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything."........, i'am ready to go for 045 and hope it will be the same or more better then the Freesco 038 version i use now.......... i will use the 038 as backup system when all fail to work...... Thx again for your time and helpfull support!
lotus123r5

Postby Lightning » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:52 pm

First i will make Freesco045 works with 1 harddrive (for me more easy i think)? or better put directly 2 harddrives inside the computer?

You MUST put both drives in the system first. Also they should be on separate controllers. This means a cable to each one from the motherboard. If you daisy chain them like most IDE drives as a master and secondary drive it slows down the drives due to bandwidth. The second things is to make sure that the very first thing you do with a new floppy is to change the default kernel to a raid kernel and at this point you can fully configure the floppy for your system. The kernel change can be done easy in any machine after downloading a raid kernel. After that the ext2 package will walk you through setting up a raid system. But you must FDISK the drives as one small bootable ext2 partition, say 10 MB and then the rest of the drive as "raid" and NOT as a normal ext2 drive. But it i9s fairly automated in the ext2 package and make sure and read the instructions as you are transferring the system from the floppy with the ext2 package and I think I put in enough instructions.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.3.x