Audiostream-0.1 For 0.3.x

Announcements of packages that are now released.

Postby justdave » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:06 pm

This is a set of programs and libraries compiled on FREESCO for playing, encoding, decoding, and streaming audio files. The following programs are included:

ezstream 0.2.1 Streaming audio source
flac 1.1.4 Audio format encoder/decoder (flac)
icecast 2.3.1 Streaming audio server
ices0 0.4 Streaming audio source
ices2 2.0.1 Streaming audio source
lame 3.97 Audio format encoder (mp3)
madplay 0.15.1 (beta) Audio format decoder (mp3)
mpd 0.12.1 Streaming audio source
mpg123 0.65 Audio format decoder (mp3)
ogg123 1.1.1 Audio format decoder (ogg)
oggdec 1.0.1 Audio format decoder (ogg)
oggenc 1.0.2 Audio format encoder (ogg)
ogginfo 1.1.0
rl 0.2.5 Randomize lines in file (useful for
shuffling playlists)

For documentation on these programs and their configuration, please refer to the appropriate website.

The following libraries are included:

libFLAC 1.1.4
libao 0.8.6
libaudiofile 0.2.6
libcurl 7.16.1
libid3tag 0.15.1b
libmad 0.15.1b
libmp3lame 3.97
libogg 1.1.3
libpthread 2.0.7
libshout 2.2.2
libvorbis 0.3.1
libvorbisenc 2.0.2
libvorbisfile 3.1.1
libxml2 2.4.30
libxslt 1.0.24

These programs have only been tested on my machine but should be considered untested. Using any of these is at your own risk. I assume no responsibility for any failures of any kind related to the use of these programs.

mpd takes quite a lot of processor power. On my amd 1600+ the mpd runs using 33% of the processor time. Using ezstream takes about 10% of the cpu.

There is one rc_ file installed (rc_audiostream). This file shows an example of starting icecast and ezstream with two streams (mp3 and ogg). Of course you will have to edit the conf files to change it for your setup.

***IMPORTANT NOTE***
If you have apache installed you will have to edit the rc_apache file and remove (comment out) the firewall rule for port 8000 in order for icecast to work.

It is also important for you to change the passwords in the conf files so that nobody can hack into your music server.

I am currently using ezstream with various encoders and decoders to stream music from my FREESCO box. I have included a sample shuffle script that randomizes the playlist and then sends sighup to the ezstream processes. You could have this run by cron every so often to keep your songs random.

Installation is by:

Code: Select all
pkg -i http://freesco.justdave.us/home/0.3.x/audiostream-0.1-justdave

Have fun.

dave
justdave
Junior Advanced Member

Postby CDFiXER » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:25 pm

Excellent! Thank you Justdave!
Catapultam habeo.
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby justdave » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:25 pm

I've been playing around with the programs in this package and find that the rc script is doing strange things. If it is run at boot, the programs take up much cpu time (>40%). If I then stop it and restart it using the rc script, the cpu usage goes back to normal (around 10%). I seem to remember reading something about this on the forum a long time ago but I can't find any posts about it.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

thanks

dave
justdave
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:52 pm

This is probably not the best place for a discussion, but what can happen is that the PATH and shell variable set is actually a small amount different at boot time versus when logged in and in general the reason for high CPU usage is from an internal error loop of some kind that is the cause.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to 3rd Party Package Release Announcements