Congrats to Lightning, long over due!

Enter your FREESCO Specific compliments here.

Congrats to Lightning, long over due!

Postby chuck » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:21 am

Hi Lightning,
I hadn't visited the forum for quite a while and was amazed to see that there was a new release (0.4.5). I started using FreeSCO around 2000(?) when Serge was still active. I remember that he kind of disappeared for a year or two then left a post saying he was impressed on what had been done with FreeSCO. By then you had taken the reigns and continued the excellent progress. Around that time, I started using Red Hat, then Fedora, etc. I have been exclusively Linux since around 2003 and have continued my learning experience. I never took the time to thank you for all you have done with FreeSCO, but:
Thank You for my introduction into Linux and your excellent stewardship of FreeSCO!.
I have had a great time with Linux :D
Chuck
Chuck
chuck

Re: Congrats to Lightning, long over due!

Postby Lightning » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:53 pm

There aren't many that remember Serge and know that he was the original conceptualizer of FREESCO. He also created the first non working alpha version of the 03x series. Of course what most don't know is the impact of the other team members such as Chris Russel 'cjr" who came up with the add on packages concept for the 02x series that really propelled FREESCO's popularity and Koen Raymond 'K-Ray' who is still a supporter of FREESCO and hosts freesco.org and freesco.info who without him the project might not have survived after Serge left by managing the web sites and maintaining the URL's. Of course no thanks would be complete without mentioning Kevin 'Howler' Perry who built and maintained this forum for a LOT of years.

But I sincerely appreciate that you have continued with Linux at least partly due to FREESCO's introduction and I hope that the simple approach that I have striven for that does not overwhelm and frustrate users with complexity will continue.

However everyone should know that after 15 years with FREESCO, I am looking for a successor and hope to find someone who will take the reins so to speak with future development into a lib6 system.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby dingetje » Thu May 01, 2014 3:24 am

I have nothing to add to Chuck's high praise, except that I want to second that motion!

I'm pretty sure FREESCO would have died a long long time ago if it wasn't for the continuous, always friendly (!) and expert support and development by Lightning.
FREESCO was not my introduction to Linux, but certainly the most rewarding due to the unbelievably friendly and supporting atmosphere on this and the previous forum. What a difference when compared to other communities out there where "newbies" are sometimes treated like sh*t.

My packaging days, first for 02x and later the much easier and more standardized 03x series are over, but I'll continue to run FREESCO for many years to come.

I hope someone will take over and port FREESCO to the next generation, but that will not be me I'm afraid.
GreetZ
http://dingetje.homeip.net

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby Howler » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:07 am

Well Hello all,
It has been a very long time since I have been on here with a capability to do anything substantial, due to personal issues. I have looked every now and again and this was the first time in many months.

I am right behind Dingetje and will third the motion in recognizing and honoring all that Lightning Lewis has done for FREESCO over the many, many, MANY years.
I have to agree with what he has said about all the other team members, without them there would not be or have been a FREESCO ... and I know my life would be different. I do want to add that besides the great people on the forum here who have offered support, I am personally thankful for the package developers, in the lead with packages is Dingetje, hands down (besides Lightning himself ;-) ). Without your packages FREESCOsoft would be lonely place. I also want to say thank you to all the package developers, as a whole, for all of their packages and for putting up with some of the issues I put on you to make things easier for me and FREESCOsoft.

I am also right beside Lightning in passing the ball to the next person. I will be leaving (semi-retired/retired), most likely when Lightning finds a replacement. It has been a great run, for me here with FREESCO and FREESCOsoft, but things have gone beyond what I can do to keep up with it. FREESCOsoft itself, will stay running as long as possible. It will be turned over to Lightning, if it gets to a point I am unable to continue the hosting or let him make a decision what to do, before any changes are made. I would like to thank all of my mirror holders for the many years of thankful hosting, it was and is greatly appreciated.

Also Like Dingetje, I will be running FREESCO for many years to come and can not wait to see what the next generation of FREESCO will be like ... No offense Lightning :-)

Take care everyone,
Kevin 'Howler' Perry
The first, the original and still the main FREESCOsoft site http://www.freescosoft.com/
The best place for FREESCO packages and related files.
Created and maintained by me (Howler), and mirrored by many (well, ok mirrored by some).
Howler
Advanced Member

Postby Zedde » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:02 am

I agree with all above.

I have been running FREESCO for over 10 years now and still love it. I'm still amazed with each update with new features and even more space free.
FREESCO was my doorstep to the world of Linux. Got me on the path of scripting, my vmware ESXi script was influenced by FREESCO.

I'm still using FREESCO just based on the simplicity to configure, maintain and the great community.
But with the support and help by Lewis to customizing my FREESCO box I will keep using it for a long time.

I loved the beta testing, with all the ops and new ides.
I have to say I'm not the man to continue devolve the system. I'm love to help with beta testing.

Thanks again for all the help

//Daniel aka Zedde aka Varazir
"From now until the end of the world,
we and it shall be remembered.
We few, we Band of Brothers.
For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother."
Zedde
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Speedy Lan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:39 am

Thanks for the dedication you have shown over these many years.
And all the help and advice given.
I have very good memories of these times, where I had been running Freesco from 027 onwards.
Today I found myself locked/out of a virtual machine running freesco and decided to go for a new install and saw the latest release.
I must pay my thanks, like those before me, for making this possible.

Thanks and congrats!

Greetings from Speedy Lan
Low lag, High bandwidth 8-)
Speedy Lan

Postby tom » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:39 am

I just wanted to stop by and also tell Lightning thank you. You've taught me a lot through the years. I still use FREESCO daily and try to always help people like you'd do.
tom
Junior Advanced Member

Return to FREESCO Specific Compliments