changing boot delays

Remember this is a 1.44Mb floppy disk router, space is limited.

changing boot delays

Postby Build-0-Matic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:59 pm

I'm wondering if there could be an option to lower the boot delays and remove that animation from the boot sequence. Not that it's very long but sometimes I'd like to have a faster booting machine.

I think this has been asked before but I just couldn't find it.
Build-0-Matic

Re: changing boot delays

Postby Lightning » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:55 pm

I have had the question asked before a few times. But the answer is that there is no configuration option in the system to stop the animation because the disk is not mounted yet. But I was also so proud of being able to create the animation using plain text and scripting, that I wanted to show it off :wink:

However I have relented and in 0.4.5 I have already added a kernel variable that can be passed to the system either in the lilo.cfg , router.bat or in the syslinux.cfg file to increase the boot speed. Which it does more than just remove the animation. It also increased the speed the various system binaries are started as it skips the test to see if they are already running. The variable will be "FASTBOOT=y", but you will have to wait for the next version of FREESCO to be released to have it or become a beta tester and use a beta version.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Re: changing boot delays

Postby Build-0-Matic » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:27 pm

Very cool...
Build-0-Matic

Return to FREESCO wish list