Support Forum Upgraded

New versions, modules, add-ons, etc., will be posted here.

Support Forum Upgraded

Postby Howler » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:21 pm

Hello all,

Well as you can tell, we are running a new software package for the FREESCO Support Forums here.

Without going into the details ... There were some security issues with the old software, that we did not like. We (The FREESCO Team) after some lenghty deliberation, decided that the best course of action was to upgrade to a newer software package.

SOME DOWNFALLS ...
I have to appologize, but not EVERYTHING made it through the conversion. The following things need to be known by all current members ...

1) As all of the current members SHOULD HAVE noticed already, is that the passwords were all reset, using the password recovery will take of that problem.
2) Sorry, all avatars were lost in the conversion. The actual images are there, but the linking to members was lost. I have placed all of the old avatar images in to a 'sub category' so they are still available. You will need to edit your profile, the avatar portion, then under the avatar gallary / old-ipb-avatars you will find your old avatar. I would like to ask (maybe even require) that you PLEASE DO NOT LINK TO IT. I would like to ask that your old avatar image be copied/saved to your local machine, then re-uploaded. I ask this, as I plan on deleting all of these avatars, within a few months, to keep the forum folders clean of the old files. Having them 're-uploaded' inside your profile, or link to via an http link, will put the new files into the correct location in this new setup, instead of an "add-on folder". Thank you for following this and helping me keep the forums organized.
3) This is the big bummer, in my eyes. ALL of the attachments to all the posts have been lost with no way to convert or recover them (that I have found) in a means that would be realistically possible without a whole heck of a lot of work. So I am asking that all the members that have an on going issue, whose posts HAD included a report.txt file or any other files that were attached, plase reattach them (I think I have that portion set already, but will be tweaking it as I see fit). Again, sorry for this inconvienence, I tried and tried, but no luck :(
4) This new forum software does not allow for direct HTML inclusion in the signatures. no < a ... > < img > or anything that uses the < ... > form. I have not found the workaround, YET. SO ... in the mean time and were ever possible, please convert your signature to use BBcode tags. I think I have it set so that the majority of the signatures will work, with the minor changes to use BBcode instead of HTML code. I will continue to work on the HTML code part of it, but can make no guarantees at this point. I have not even had a chance to mod my signature, but it shows (at this moment) what IS NOT allowed, not a good example, but a visible one.

I think this covers all of the issues that need to be addressed to the members. If anyone sees or notices something that I may have missed ... PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I will try and keep a close eye on the "FORUM SUPPORT SECTION" for any comments/suggestion/etc.

I also want to give extra thanks to Dingetje, for pointing out the orginal issue that brought this conversion about. Not for giving me the work I had to do, but for the extra set of eyes to help me keep this forum as safe as possible for all of our members. I will deal with the extra work ANY DAY, if it means the safety and security of our members here, is preserved. Ok, while referenceing the forum, not much I can do about what you do at home or out on the street or such ... That is up to you ;)

So with all of this said, I will be taking a bit of time off, not long, to glue some hair back in ;) and relax a bit :) . I will monitor the forum and will be making tweaks here and there, so if some things change, from one visit to another, you will know why ;) Since this is a completely new software package, it has different options/settings/etc. that I am not already firmiliar with, so it may take me a bit of time to do the learning curve for this software. It is very easy to understand, but just need to get used to it.

LASTLY, I want to thank EVERYONE for their patience while the forum was down and I worked on the conversion. It is greatly greatly GREATLY appretiated.

Howler
The first, the original and still the main FREESCOsoft site http://www.freescosoft.com/
The best place for FREESCO packages and related files.
Created and maintained by me (Howler), and mirrored by many (well, ok mirrored by some).
Howler
Advanced Member

Re: Support Forum Upgraded

Postby Howler » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:46 pm

Slight modification, to make things correct for other projects / possibilities.

IF you have a problem STAYING logged in to the forums, DELETE YOUR COOKIE FOR THE FORUM.
This has taken care of the problem practicly 100% of the time. It did for me.

Thanks,
Howler
The first, the original and still the main FREESCOsoft site http://www.freescosoft.com/
The best place for FREESCO packages and related files.
Created and maintained by me (Howler), and mirrored by many (well, ok mirrored by some).
Howler
Advanced Member

Return to FREESCO Announcements